Weihrauch HW75

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Weihrauch HW75

Post by Ian » Wed May 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Here is my Weihrauch HW75 single stroke pneumatic

In the 80's Weihrauch collaborated with the American Beeman company on the production of a high power spring air pistol. In order to appeal to the market over there the design was loosely based on the Colt 1911. This went on to become the Weihrauch HW45 which was sold in the States as the Beeman P1. Whilst the HW45 was being developed a prototype pneumatic prototype was produced but this option was shelved at the time. Following the release of the HW45 and its initial (and indeed continuing) success it was decided that there was a hole in the market for a highly accurate, firearms style match pistol and so the SSP version was put into production as the Beeman P2. This was later sold in the rest of the world as the Weihrauch HW75.

Unlike its spring powered sibling the HW75 favours accuracy over power, it produces little over 3ft.lb but is recoiless with a 2 stage adjustable trigger and consistent, smooth performance. There is a dry fire facility.The ambi grips are more suited to target work but are more a refined sporter style than full match grips. What the HW75 does share with the HW45 is superb build quality - these are refined, precision pistols.

This pistol is something of a confusing thing to many - just who is its intended market? A new one in 2013 will cost in the region of £300 and for that pistols with more popular match grips are available. Also for this kind of money some used higher spec pistols can be had. However, there are a number of us who simply love this pistol for its feel and the sheer quality of the build.

I bought this particular example about 5 years ago as I recall and used it mainly for 10m club match shooting. After a couple of years I sold it to fund a Tau 7 CO2. Nothing that followed in relation to single shot recoiless felt the same to me and I really missed those lovely ambi grip as I sometimes have to shoot with my left hand. Last week I decided that the time had come to seek out another and I placed a few wanted ads on various forums. To my surprise and delight the chap that I sold it to contacted me and it arrived in the post this morning. How lucky is that?

It is an early version and despite regular use is pretty near mint condition. Being an early version it doesnt have the rather silly EU warning notices plastered down the side reminding you not to shoot yourself etc!

A marvelous pistol that I am very happy to be reunited with

Ian

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Weihrauch HW75

Post by zunmik » Wed May 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Nice one Ian, and getting your own one back is a bonus, i've only shot one once & was impressed,it was either the fas or the 75 i was looking for, happy with my fas despite its polished top section, and i am confident you will be with your 75 (very nice), and will do good things with it,
atb M. :handgestures-thumbupright: :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed May 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Another excellent post, made even better by you getting your original gun back.

You'll have to keep a firmer grip in the future, and not let them go.

I have shot many HW45s, including one in .25, but never an HW75.

you are now spoilt for choice for the MPL!

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

eredel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by eredel » Wed May 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Really pleased for you Ian....there's nowt better than being reunited with an old friend!
I loved the '75 but my days of working an overlever SSP are over as the old elbow doesn't like it so I'll stick to the nice 'n easy long stroke underlevers like the Izzy.

Regards.....Eric.
Browning B425 12G O/U Trap ~ Morini 162EI Short ~ Baikal MP-53M

peteswright

Post by peteswright » Thu May 16, 2013 8:31 am

Ian. Great story. Great pics. Great pistol. Love mine. Worth every penny!!! ATB. Pete.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Gamo PR45, P17s, 1377, SMK rifle, HW 40, HW 45, HW 75, Gamo AF10, Hatsan mod 25, Tanfoglio Witness, Crosman 357, Browning Buckmark. Webley tempest. John Beatie holsters.

Planteater

Post by Planteater » Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Lovely looking '75 you have there, Ian.
The grips on mine have a very "dried" appearance. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cosmetic treatment? I have some "lemon oil" that has worked wonders cleaning old guitar fretboards but I'm a bit reluctant to use it on the grips in case I wreck an otherwise great pistol

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri May 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Briwax probably, but just a bit of a stab in the dark.

Graham (Tank) will probably able to advise you on this.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri May 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Planteater wrote:Lovely looking '75 you have there, Ian.
The grips on mine have a very "dried" appearance. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cosmetic treatment? I have some "lemon oil" that has worked wonders cleaning old guitar fretboards but I'm a bit reluctant to use it on the grips in case I wreck an otherwise great pistol
:banana-gotpics: please :banana-gotpics:

lemme see a pic and i'll be able to better form a judgement.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Nice post Ian. I was fortunate to borrow an HW75 up the club a few weeks ago...... Everything I'd previously read about them was proved true! Lovely pistols. :D
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

Planteater

Post by Planteater » Fri May 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Tank wrote:
:banana-gotpics: please :banana-gotpics:

lemme see a pic and i'll be able to better form a judgement.
I'll post some pics tomorrow!

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Following the release of the HW45 and its initial (and indeed continuing) success it was decided that there was a hole in the market for a highly accurate, firearms style match pistol and so the SSP version was put into production as the Beeman P2. This was later sold in the rest of the world as the Weihrauch HW75.
And then subsequently the Weihrauch 40 the HW40 was produced and bang for buck it knocked the HW75 into a cocked hat!
However, nothing in the range comes close to the quality of the HW75. Certainly, the HW40 - for instance - is a very accurate pistol and is of good build, I sort of regret selling mine really because for the eighty quid or so you can pick one up for you are up running and in business shooting in competition - a night out could cost more!
But turning up with a HW75 is a whole new ball game - EVERYONE wants a go. They are sweet to operate, have a very balanced feel and scream quality. The opposition is plastic!
No contest :D
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 pm

I tend not to have such expensive nights out :D

The HW40 is a fine pistol and I recall a great evening at my old club shooting one when I had forgotten to take my match pistol. Its hard to beat at the price and those with limited funds could do far worse. Not really my cup of tea though as I cant stand plastic.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri May 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Ian wrote: Not really my cup of tea though as I cant stand plastic.
Which is why, really, I sold both my Alecto and my HW40. I just can't be having lots of plastic on a gun, any gun, really.

Apart from the Smurf gun :D
graham.

peteswright

Post by peteswright » Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 am

All I use on mine is Brunox gun care turbo spray for all over cleaning. ATB. Pete. PS. If anyone thinks that's wrong please comment.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Gamo PR45, P17s, 1377, SMK rifle, HW 40, HW 45, HW 75, Gamo AF10, Hatsan mod 25, Tanfoglio Witness, Crosman 357, Browning Buckmark. Webley tempest. John Beatie holsters.

Planteater

Post by Planteater » Sat May 18, 2013 11:44 pm

These are the grips on my '75. A combination of horizontal scratches and tiny vertical cracks :x

Not a major problem but I'd welcome any suggestions that might smarten them up a bit.