"Pop Out" Pistols

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
pmh
Site Admin
"Pop Out" Pistols

Post by pmh » Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 am

For many shooters, their for air pistol was a "pop out", more genetically known as a Gat Gun.

Around the age of 10 I wanted an air pistol more than anything, but got told no, no matter how much I protested and moaned.

Then, one day, a new next door neighbour moved in. I didn't really notice them until, one day, I went out the back door, to find him sat on his back step with a multitude of friends and air guns.

You can imagine my eyes lot up, even more so when he asked if I wanted a go.

After a few more encounters he presented me with Diana Mk2,a bit battered and with the front sight/barrel shroud missing, but it was mine!

After seeing how much I coveted this, my dad finally gave in and asked if I would like a new one for my birthday. I didn't asking twice, and it suo to the local fishing shop.

As it turned out, he had sold out and had to order one in. This seemed an age to arrive, but eventually it did, and I ended up with a Harrington Gat.

Ever since I have always had a soft spot for such pistols. Whilst I don't my original one, I have managed to acquire various examples since.

Harrington Gat

This is the version of Gat I first owned. It 2 available in two finishes, black and chrome. The chrome one came in a red box, whereas the black one came in a light blue box.

I picked this chrome example up in 2012.

Harrington Gat, Later Model

I picked this up in the mid 1980s. It has a contoured grip and safety catch, and was the last model to be produced by T J Harrington.

Diana SP50

If you were a bit more sophisticated, and had the extra money, then the Diana SP50 was the pistol of choice.

Barnett Nitro 45

ImageProbably one of the last pop out pistols to be produced, the Barnett Nitro 45. this was available until the late 1990s, early 2000s.

LOV2

Every now and again, modern versions, mainly eastern European, do become available.

I picked this one up a few years ago for less than £10

I haven't gone into to much detail on each of the above guns, as there is so much available online, certainly more than I can remember.

There is also a rather excellent book on the subject:-

GATS : A Guide to Junior Push-in-pop-out Airguns by Malcolm Atkins.

I have spoken to the author on several occasions, and he is a thoroughly decent chap.

I shall attempt to get him to join up.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: "Pop Out" Pistols

Post by Certus » Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 am

Hi Phil,

The first pistol I ever owned was a "spud gun" which I remember played havoc with my mum's potatoes as she would be hard pushed to find any that were not riddled with little holes. My dad was working in Germany in the mid fifties and brought back a "pop-out" pistol and a Diana tinplate rifle for my brother and myself. The rest as they say is history.

Regards

Brian

gatmad3

Post by gatmad3 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi everybody, finally remembered my password (dooh)

Re the Harrington Gats, as per the book there were 4 main types of Gat, types 1 to 4.
1. early with seperate grip side plates and no corkholder.
2. standard type with square butt and corkholder
3. post 1982, modified with safety catch and fingergrooved butt, triggerguard cast on one side only.
4. final type with modified and reshaped butt and triggerguard cast in two halves.

Types 1 and 2 were available in black or chrome, later the type 2 appeared in polished finish which replaced the chrome.
Types 3 and 4 only appear to have been made in black finish.
At this point I thought I had cracked it, but closer examination of other Gats showed that there was at least one major and over a dozen minor variations some of them internal which still need to be documented.
Oh well back to the electronic sulking machine for volume two!!!! M. (p.s. the Lov2 was also sold in an orange box as the Webley Gnat).

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:38 pm

I took my tinplate Diana pop-out to RMTC last night - and the pellet did get all the way down to the 10 meter target. :clap:

..........I walked alongside it just to make sure :whistle:
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

cinedux
Plinker
Plinker

Post by cinedux » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:50 pm

http://www.cinedux.com/the-gat.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;