Gamo Compact, FAS 604 Match or Walther LPM?

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Scrench
Gamo Compact, FAS 604 Match or Walther LPM?

Post by Scrench » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:37 am

Hi All,

Boy am I glad to have found this site. Hopefully some of you can help me reach a decision about which of these guns will suit me the best, then I can start the search to find one.

A little history. So far I've owned a HW40, Webley Alecto, Daisy 777, 5 Baikal/Izzy 46M's, FWB 100, Pardini K2S, and Air Arms Alfa Proj. I really enjoy shooting 10m Olympic pistol and Silhouette with open sights, and I've been trying to find the one pistol that will do it all but fit the criteria I want. I guess I should explain why the only pistol I still own from the above list is the HW40. Also keep in mind that I don't plan to "train" and practice like crazy (being 59 years old, who has the time?). I just like to pick up a pistol to shoot once in a while, but want to know that I'm giving up nothing because of inferior equipment, and I do get that "serious" streak now and then. I average around 470/600 for matches, but am keen to break the 500 barrier.

Here's what happened:

Webley Alecto - Trigger was horrible, a little too heavy, not quite accurate enough, too much cocking since once wasn't enough for decent velocity. Loved the grip and safety.

Daisy 777 - Too big and heavy, especially barrel heavy, which I hate (like the Izzy's). Not enough power, loading port stinks. Loved the easy cocking and quiet report.

Baikal/Izzy 46M - OK I'm an idiot because I tried my best to like this gun which is why I went through 5 of them, but I just never got used to the barrel-heaviness, and although some people prefer that, I hate it, preferring a neutral balance. It's also huge. Yes, I whittled down the grips on some and still hated it. Loved the easy cocking, quietness and trigger.

FWB 100 - After all I read about these being the absolute best SSP's, I finally managed to grab one. Great accuracy, easy cocking, quiet, grip felt great, excellent trigger. But, with the attached cocking lever, it made this gun a little barrel heavy also. And for whatever reason, I got bored with it. No excitement, no desire to shoot it.

Pardini K2S - I went out on a limb and decided to get a gun that has actually been used in Olympic competition, in fact mine was used in the Atlanta Olympics. I hated it. The grip never felt right, it was loud and obnoxious, and I didn't like the sights. What a rude awakening.

Alfa Proj - I actually liked this gun quite a bit because it was light with neutral balance, but got sick and tired of having to refill it after every 60 shot match because of the tiny air tank in the grip, and this began my hate of having PCP's in general, because of all of the ancillary crap you have to drag along with you just to shoot the gun. I might consider having a gun that will shoot 120 shots or more per fill, because I still have a scuba tank and regulator, but as much as I'd like to own a Steyer or Morini, I just can't justify the price for what I do, even used. The Alfa also had a velocity spread of 40 fps, not good, and felt "fragile", as if it wouldn't last very long.

So I kept the HW40. Why? Because it is light, 1.7 lbs, neutrally balanced, has decent sights once you tape over the glo crap, and the grip can be made usable by pulling about 4-5 inches of a bicycle inner tube over it. But, I'm sick of the effort it takes to cock it which completely disturbs/disrupts my concentration, as well as wears you out by the end of a match, and the grip is not even close to the control you can get with a match grip with a palm shelf. 400fps is also a little slow for 10m.

I considered a Gamo Compact, and realize I can lengthen the trigger adjustment screw, stone polish the sear and add some moly paste to get the trigger right, as well as adjust the velocity higher (although I don't know how high it can go) to get match speeds, and from what I read, it is light and well balanced. This gun is still in consideration because of the price, but the FAS 604 Match and the Walther LPM have caught my attention. I was hoping some of you who own these guns can share your insights on how they feel, how much they weigh, what the weight bias is, etc... etc.... I know the best way to find out is go to my local club and find some one who has them to try them out, but I have no local club. There is no local pistol club within hundreds of miles of me here in the deep South, so I'm forced to go only by the expert opinions of others.

If you know of any other guns I haven't mentioned that might fit the bill, please let me know.

Thank you for your expertise and personal knowledge you've gained over the years, and especially for being willing to share it.

Richard

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Gamo Compact, FAS 604 Match or Walther LPM?

Post by Certus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Hello Richard,

I have been in a similar position to yourself in that I used to shoot 10 & 20 yd precision air pistol using an FWB 65 but was reluctant to invest in the paraphernalia needed to support a PCP when spring powered air pistols became less popular.

Although I continued to shoot vintage and classic spring air pistols for fun I still liked to enter club level precision competitions and found the FWB to be a bit heavy and harder to hold on aim as the years inevitably took their toll.

The answer for me was a FAS 604 which I find easier to cock and shoot and more importantly is completely self contained.

I have owned the pistol for 15yrs or so now and find it still holds it's own against more expensive PCP opposition (Steyr, Morini etc).

Although I believe the FAS can still be bought new I would go for a used model fitted with adjustable (anatomical) grips) which would not only be cheaper but as with most things is built to a higher standard than some later products.

From your previous experience it's clear you don't give up easily so good luck with your quest to find a suitable competition air pistol.

Regards

Brian

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi Richard

I've had Gamo Compact that was sweet to shoot due to a reworked trigger, but I have replaced it with a FAS 604. This is in a completely different league in terms of build quality and the trigger is second to none. The one I've got is along the lines of what Brian has said. It's got the laminated grips with adjustable palm shelf but it must be a transition model because it has trigger stop adjustment both on the trigger and mounted behind the trigger on the frame. The valve head has leaked in the three weeks or so that I've had the pistol, so I'm going to need to spend some time working on this to get it right.

With respect to shooting it is reasonably light with neutral balance. it has 50g of wheel weights added underneath the front of the barrel and some internal weights also came with it. I've found the cocking action lighter and smoother than the Gamo and this possibly correlates with a lower muzzle velocity. Having said that it's great to shoot at 10m and 6 yards. Earlier in the week I was doing a bit of plinking with it and consistently hitting pop bottle tops, spent 12 bore cartridges and 25mm spinners at 20 yards.

If you find a good 604 I'd certainly give it a go. £200-250ish?

Good luck with your search.

Mick

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:24 pm

Brian and Mick,

That is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies.

I'm starting to think that since the LPM is another front-attached levered gun that it may be barrel-heavy like all the rest, but the highly adjustable grip would certainly be nice. I've heard that the 604 will hold it's own with any current PCP, and since you say that the cocking is easier then my HW40 or Compact equivalent, I'd like to find one to try out. If you know of anyone...

The search begins...

Best Regards,
Richard

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:05 pm

My Gamo Compact is one of the early ones, and has a superb trigger.

For the money, it is one of the best starter 10m pistols there is, and also capable of some worthy scores in experienced hands.

That said, though similar in appearance, the FAS 604 is by far the superior gun, and should last you a shooting lifetime; certainly worth paying the extra for.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks Phil for the reinforcement about the 604. I've already started inquires into finding one. BTW, nice picture of a Prophet. At first I thought it was a MOOG. Lifetime musician here.

Richard

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:59 pm

After some 20 plus synths I have run out of space, so have moved onto VSTs.

Good job my good lady is understanding.

If you get the opportunity you should try and pick up some Originals. Model 6s are usually quite common, though the ultimate is the Model 10

After a shaky start, I managed to put 13 out of 15 shots into the black with one last night.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:28 am

I think the basic issue is the pistols weight?

If so then you may struggle to find a lightweight target pistol so the gamo fits the bill but i will apologise to gamo owners now.... I personally think the compact is not a quality pistol so for quality i would say the fas is the one.

I owned a compact and would never buy another but maybe it wasnt suitable for me, i will say that pistols are quite a personal item.
i sold my compact and bought a crosman 1377 which i have modified and plan to mod even more.

Certainly worth looking at an original 6/10 if the pcp route puts you off.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:35 pm

I agree with the comments made, I own & shoot the fas & the compact, the fas is the better engineered pistol, but I still shoot a little better with the compact??. on Friday whilst buying a rifle @ my rfd's I was looking @ a New compact, and am very tempted to take the fas in a do a trade I am still thinking about it, ...mike... :? :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi Mike, I think FAS might sell on the forum if offered.

Mick

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:12 pm

micken wrote:Hi Mike, I think FAS might sell on the forum if offered.

Mick
Yeah possibly, but a lot of hassle with time wasters, and pennypinchers, I think i'd rather just buy a new one from the rfd & trade my fas if I decide to go ahead, but i'm in no hurry I've got my new rifle to sort first, atb, M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:46 am

Spoiler Alert! Something Happened.

First, many thanks to all who have replied with their personal experiences. Since I live in the Middle of Nowhere as far as airgun pistol shooting is concerned, your valuable knowledge is all I have to go on, and your honesty is greatly appreciated. And BTW, just cruising through these forums and reading about your antics helps keep me interested in this fabulous sport.

I put out inquiries, looking for a Compact, a 604, and a Walther LPM, but none have turned up yet. Instead, some other interesting offers came along, and I snatched 2 of them up. I bought a Baikal/IZH 46, not the heavier "M" version, and will remove the barrel clamp, and if that gets me close enough balance-wise and I like the gun, I may also cut the front sight block down and cut off some of the cocking handle to get it even lighter. Even if I don't like it my wife might go for it because of the easy cocking effort. Got it for $275, so it may be a keeper just because... Maybe I can convince my son to upgrade from his HW40. I also bought a Pardini K58 that has had the seals and parts completely refurbished, so it's like new, for $675. I didn't like the K2S, because it didn't "feel" right, and was too loud. I mostly shoot in my backyard with neighbors very near. The K58 gun is more on par with the top PCP's and the FWB 100 I sold. It is supposed to be the lightest and most neutral balanced match-quality SSP available, so I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. On paper it sounds like the answer to all of my problems. BUT WAIT!... I'm not finished.

Turns out a company called Chiagga here in the US is going to start offering new FAS 604's for sale later this year. I don't know if they got the license to build them or if they are just importing, but the prices are supposed to be reasonable, around $600-800. There is a video from a gun show on YouTube where this company talks about it.

So, even if Izzy #6 or the K58 don't work out, I still have an ace in the hole with the FAS, and will have gained more experience with 2 other guns I've never owned.

Best Regards to All,
Richard

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:28 am

The K58 is quite a rare gun, you don't see many up for sale.

A chap at our club recently picked one up, and they are an extremely capable pistol.

I am having to mainly use PCPs these days, as my shoulder continues to give me a great deal of trouble, and I find cocking other types of gun difficult.

I have promised myself to cut back on my purchases, after picking up a Feinwerkbau P44 recently, and my good lady declaring "is that it, it looks like a bit of pipe you cappuccino up from B&Q. "

For B&Q substitute Home Depot.

If you do sorry yourself out a suitable pistol w have found that sights set for 10m seem to be spot on at 6 yards also, so you could have a go at the 6 Yard MPL comp we are running.

We will also be starting season 2 of the 6 Yard Benchrest in July which isn't as easy as it first sounds.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Phil,

I'm not familiar with 6 yard comp, is it the same as 10m, just at 6 yards? That would certainly improve my scores. Please send me a link to your Postals as they sound interesting, and since there is no one else into AP anywhere near me, it would give me a reason/excuse to practice :)

Thanks,
Richard

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:18 pm

The competition 6 yard target is basically a 10m target scaled to 6 Yards.

A link to the 6 Yard MPL is >here<

If you do a Google search for NSRA Air 8 you should find an image of the official 6 Yard target.

Our benchrest competition is based on a target I decided, which allows slightly different scoring so that both .177 and .22 pistols can be used.

This is due to start up again on the 1st of July, and a link to this is >here<

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH