Late model LP53

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Late model LP53

Post by Ian » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 am

Due to a mini financial crisis I had to sell my mint 1961 boxed LP53 at the beginning of the year which was a bit of a blow - however, over the past few months things have been looking up and I have been in a position to start looking around for another one

I saw that Mark D who mainly frequents the UBC forum had one up for sale last week and decided to go for this. Mark and I have bought and sold pistols from each other in the past and its good to deal with someone you know that you can trust!

Anyway, this is a late model that is in excellent condition

It shoots beautifully - the trigger is smooth and light and with my first 10 shots at 6yards (one handed) I managed to hit the practice target with all of them, half being in the black. Not bad for me!

The serial number is 128387 which Mark says is the highest he has ever come across and he believes it to be post 1976. Here is a serial number / year guide that I found on the BBS - which goes up to 1976

I would be interested in trying to establish the exact year of manufacture - I may email Walther on the off chance that they still have records and are willing to respond

In any event, I am very pleased to have another one of these - in my view these are beautiful air pistols

Ian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Late model LP53

Post by pmh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:15 am

Looks to be in excellent condition. You'll have to keep hold of this one.

Leonardj has a vast knowledge of the Walthers, so it might be worthwhile giving him a pm.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Still fine tuning the sights and getting 'synchronised' with this particular pistol.

Even at this early stage I am pleased with results at 6 yards. This is 15 rounds earlier this afternoon. Probably not that impressive to some but good for me!

I find the recoil generated by the LP53 doesnt upset my arthritic joints the way other springers do and feeling some recoil is much more satisfying than the dead feeling of some recoiless types.

Some more adjustment of the sights and my grip should improve accuracy further. I am finding that a medium firm grip is best for me.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Wow that looks great Ian well chosen mate I hope you get much pleasure from shooting it, will you use it on season 2 benchrest? atb, M. :handgestures-thumbupright:
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Thank you sir!

Fiendishly difficult to shoot from a bench rest so will definitely be using it for this!

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Looks like you are starting to master the nuances of this type of pistol.

I have found that a couple of seconds of hold on target, after the shot has gone, help me with this type of pistol.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Indeed Phil

The recoil is more vertical than horizontal - I can see what they were trying to do as regards simulated live fire in relation to muzzle flip - though hardly at .22! I have had no problems with my fragile wrist joint at all despite the recoil from this, probably helped by the relatively low power.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:22 pm

I still have Bobs Predom, which I have tamed as much as I think it's possible.

We shall see on Thursday when competitors have to shoot both in a light hearted comp. :happy-jumpyellow:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:03 am

Congrats Ian, on your purchase of a very nice, late model LP53.

The serial number of your LP53 is one of only three others that I currently have in my LP53 serial number database that are in the 128xxx range.
The highest known serial number that I currently have on file is 128872.

Unfortunately, I still have not been able to accurately determine the production date for these very late guns, and Walther has been of little assistance, maintaining that only 125,000 were produced. Thus, with the accepted starting point for the serial numbers beginning at 1000, there should be no gun bearing a serial number higher than 126xxx. Obviously, this is not the case with known specimens bearing serial numbers in both the 127xxx and 128xxx range.

If you do manage to get a date of manufacture for your gun from Walther, I'd be most interested in hearing from you.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:13 am

Ian wrote:Indeed Phil

The recoil is more vertical than horizontal - I can see what they were trying to do as regards simulated live fire in relation to muzzle flip - though hardly at .22! I have had no problems with my fragile wrist joint at all despite the recoil from this, probably helped by the relatively low power.
One of my earlier posts here, in which the LP53 recoil was studied using slow-motion video:
http://www.classicapa.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 pm

pmh wrote:Looks like you are starting to master the nuances of this type of pistol.

I have found that a couple of seconds of hold on target, after the shot has gone, help me with this type of pistol.

Kind regards,

Phil
For what it's worth I fully endorse the above advice especially when shooting spring powered air pistols.

Although the other techniques are obviously very important, I have found that consistent "follow through" has the most significant effect on accuracy when shooting springers.

As already stated, very nice, high quality air pistols which I'm sure are a pleasure to own and shoot.

Regards

Brian

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:15 pm

My late model LP53 is boxed and looks exactly the same as yours, but has the serial number 118051 and this would suggest that it was made earlier then yours.

Having said that, it is a fairly well accepted observation that Walther made their pistols in batches and were not reluctant to use anything that was in the parts bins at that time - hence the huge number of small variations that are often seen that equally bewilder the collector and enthusiast alike.

The barrels will have been number stamped prior to assembly and then put into the parts bins ready for assembly during one of their production batches.

Who is to say my pistol was made earlier than yours with any degree of certainty?

Your barrel may have been at the top of the relavent parts bin and so was picked-up first - easily done given the somewhat "Cavalier" attitude Walther employed when bunging their air pistols together.

I love collecting Walther air pistols - when you buy one you never know what to expect :think:
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.