Improving Trigger Control

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Improving Trigger Control

Post by Certus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Having noticed excessive lateral variation in my 10 metre precision groups recently indicating possible problems with trigger release I reverted to a technique I have used before to diagnose and improve trigger control.

The procedure simply involves reversing the target and shooting on the blank side ie with no aiming mark.

This has two main advantages:

Firstly, it provides one less less distraction allowing you to concentrate more on the sight picture and trigger release without having to correctly place the sight picture relative to the aiming mark.

Secondly, although sometimes a little vertically strung the groups should be tight laterally if trigger release is correct. In practice, placement of sight picture in the right place seems to happen almost instinctively even without an aiming mark and I have shot some of my best groups in this manner.

I have used this technique quite a few times and after shooting a few cards groups soon improve along with increased confidence in correct trigger release.

Regards

Brian

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Improving Trigger Control

Post by micken » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Guess what I'm having a go at tomorrow at the range.
Thanks very much for this information Brian.

Cheers, Mick

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 pm

micken wrote:Guess what I'm having a go at tomorrow at the range.
Thanks very much for this information Brian.

Cheers, Mick
The trigger control technique that Brian refers to is very useful I was taught it many years ago, and I still use it when my control gets a bit iffy,
M :handgestures-thumbupright:
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Sounds like something to have a go at.

I need a bit of help in this area.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

peteswright

Post by peteswright » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:16 am

Its a great feeling when the pellet hits right where you aimed, with the gun still pointing at the sight picture. I constantly struggle with trigger finger technique and use the above technique. I find that if I concentrate on my correct finger placement on the trigger and only pivoting from first joint up from knuckle, this consistency helps. My problems start when moving to different guns with heavier or lighter trigger weights. This seems to be because I grip the guns firmer or looser depending on trigger weight to counter the pull, which affects the trigger finger technique also. So there are two variables at least, three, when taking into account holding steady with different weights of pistol. "Beware the man with one gun" has been quoted, and theres a lot to be said for that. I do like the challenge of getting it right (occasionally) and have thought, what would be the point of knowing for a fact that every time you fire you're going to have a guaranteed 10 every time? ATB. Pete.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Gamo PR45, P17s, 1377, SMK rifle, HW 40, HW 45, HW 75, Gamo AF10, Hatsan mod 25, Tanfoglio Witness, Crosman 357, Browning Buckmark. Webley tempest. John Beatie holsters.