Tell 2 Air Pistol Accuracy

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Tell 2 Air Pistol Accuracy

Post by Certus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:57 pm

I have just added a third tiny pre-war TELL 2 to my collection and continue to be surprised at the power and accuracy that is achievable with these little smoothbore air pistols. Having cleaned and lubricated the pistol, I recently took it to the range for some serious accuracy testing and found that with judicious aiming off I could quite easily hold the black aiming area (about 3" diameter) on a PL15 target at 6 yds . I use H&N Finale Match pellets in all my old .177 air pistols and found that these not only cut a nice clean hole in the target at that range, but also deformed quite a bit indicating reasonable muzzle energy. This sort of power and accuracy would seem to be at least comparable with many of the the much larger GAT style pistols. I'ts probably not a coincidence that the Tell 2 design formed the basis for the much later and larger English 'Thunderbolt Junior' and 'Acvoke' air pistols.

The diminutive pre-war Tell 2 is the second smallest production air pistol ever made.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Tell 2 Air Pistol Accuracy

Post by pmh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:25 pm

I always thought these were quite smart looking pistols, and quite an achievement to squeeze so much into a tiny gun.

I think you need at least 1.5 ftlbs, or so of muzzle energy, at least, to make a crisp hole in a target at 10m, so yours seems to be putting out a respectful amount for its size.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Tell 2 Air Pistol Accuracy

Post by Certus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:36 pm

pmh wrote:I always thought these were quite smart looking pistols, and quite an achievement to squeeze so much into a tiny gun.

I think you need at least 1.5 ftlbs, or so of muzzle energy, at least, to make a crisp hole in a target at 10m, so yours seems to be putting out a respectful amount for its size.

Kind regards,

Phil
Hi Phil,

It must help that it's a concentric design shooting wadcutter pellets but even so I'm still impressed. Two of the three examples I now own feel quite a handful but the third has a very weak spring which I mean to change when I can find a suitable replacement. A few of my fellow club members sometimes shoot gas powered BB pistols at six yards which gives me an opportunity to give the little Tell 2s an outing.

Regards

Brian