SAM K11

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
SAM K11

Post by zooma » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:58 am

The Swiss made SAM match pistols are not seen in the clubs that often compared to pistols like the Feinwerkbau and Steyr etc but it is an extremely desirable and well engineered ( if a little "lightweight" in places) model that I thought you may like to see some pictures of.

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The model shown here was my first SAM that I agreed to sell to a fellow club member who unfortunately left us to go outdoor rifle shooting and exchanged it for a posh scope at a local dealer!

I really miss this pistol and wish I had never sold it as it was probably the best match pistol I ever owned and certainly the one that I consistently scored the the best with.

The twin stabiliser bars can be independently adjusted for angle and the weights can slide along them and can be locked in any convenient position. A fellow shooter at the Rivington Club has a nice blue example and he shoots with his bars at different angles to help avoid any twist when shooting.

The current K14 model feels a little more sturdy and more durable than the early K11 and has the same twin balance bar system and is also available as the K15 with a single centrally mounted adjustable weight bar, but other than the different mounting system for the weights the K14 and K15 pistols are absolutely identical and can even exchange their weight systems that are fixed to the lower part of the trigger guard.

No manometer is fitted to the SAM cylinders but the shooter is made aware of low pressure as a small (blunt)curved blade extends from the trigger guard to touch the trigger finger. This is an even better method of being made aware of a low pressure situation as it needs no visible reference to the front end of the pistol !

The K11 was made in a bright blue colour as well as this superb airforce blue variant that is not seen so often. Later SAM pistols such as the K14 and K15 are always seen in the more sober black colour so the K11 models were certainly the brightest coloured members of the SAM pistol family!
Last edited by zooma on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

beeker
Marksman
Marksman

Re: SAM K11

Post by beeker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:09 pm

I like the look of this pistol , it's different enough to appeal on looks alone , but your statement on accuracy makes it even more desireable.
Are they still available , as in do they come up for sale now and then.
Bill

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:59 pm

beeker wrote:I like the look of this pistol , it's different enough to appeal on looks alone , but your statement on accuracy makes it even more desireable.
Are they still available , as in do they come up for sale now and then.
Bill
The SAM pistols do come up for sale now and again - but not as often as the Feinwerkbau, Morini or Steyr pistols. They are a little rarer and for me this adds to their appeal a fair bit.

The K11 are good value but need checking before buying as they do have some reported problems - and this will not have got any better with age. The K14 and K15 pistols are stronger - but cost more - so you pays your money and takes your chances........................

I suspect that the current Swiss Arms Manufacture quality is a little better than some but they do cost a fair bit more when new as well so this probably accounts for their smaller numbers as much as anything else

You may have more chance of finding one of the newer K14 or K15 types and these are also very nice and are a little more refined - but only available in black!

You just missed a nice K14 - but Graham bought it and he loves shooting it.

I have a "new" K14 that I am not sure what to do with just yet as it was one of the last in the country ( ref the RFD that sold it to me) and it came with their posh new type soft carry case.

I carry so much stuff to the club twice a week that I have had to buy a roller bag as it is too heavy for me to carry ( club targets/belltarget white and brush/various forms/scope and stand/at least two pistols -often four or more- etc) and so I would prefer a hard case given my fairly unique circumstance.

Graham has added a K14 hard case to his SAM spare parts order for me so when it arrives the K14 may get to see the light of day or the glow of the range lights!

The SAM Clan is not very big and we have even had a SAMfest here at RMTC in the past, so if you do get tempted please let me know and I will ask around for you.
Last edited by zooma on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:09 pm

The K11 version of the SAM is quite "lightweight" in build quality compared to the later K14 and K15 models and is reported to have a few "problems" and this reflects in their typical selling price of around £400 for a good clean example - and some have gone for less!

They are also "getting-on a bit now" and spare parts could become a problem although seals should always be OK.

Dealer prices can be £100 more - but they have to make some profit, offer a warranty and pay 20% vat - but they probably paid less than the typical private selling price for them as well perhaps?

The later K14 and K15 models do seem to have a more "sturdy" construction and those of us that shoot them do not have any problems to report - but the K14 and K15 are more expensive and used examples sell for about the same as a FWB P44 or Steyr LP10E .