Baikal Izh53M

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Baikal Izh53M

Post by zunmik » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:51 pm

The 53m is a cheap Russian spring pistol which is surprisingly good it responds very well to a light tune & the trigger can be made to be very good indeed I am after another one having foolishly let mine go when I first injured my shoulder. the current model has better sights than the one I owned, but I still prefer the previous version cos of the target grips. However I would be happy to obtain either one so if you know of one for sale please PM me atb, M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Baikal Izh53M

Post by pmh » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:05 pm

I haven't used mine for ages, turning back to my Gamo Compact for the 10m MPL, but I really do need to get it back into circulation.

For the money, it is a bargain. It does need a bit of a lube out of the box, but this is a very simple task.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:21 pm

The Compact is a fine pistol Phil and although I own much higher rated pistols I personally score as well (badly) with the Compact as I do with the others. The 53M I want as my springer pistols are limited I only have the Jumbo & the Falcon & the latter I do not like. hence my hunt for a 53M which I have shot very well with in the past, atb, M. :)

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:10 pm

zunmik wrote:The 53m is a cheap Russian spring pistol which is surprisingly good it responds very well to a light tune & the trigger can be made to be very good indeed I am after another one having foolishly let mine go when I first injured my shoulder. the current model has better sights than the one I owned, but I still prefer the previous version cos of the target grips. However I would be happy to obtain either one so if you know of one for sale please PM me atb, M. :)
It looks like I've got this sorted I should have one of the newer versions wed/thurs this week, M. :D

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:21 pm

Glad to hear you got sorted.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:10 pm

My izh53m arrived today its the latest variant, as far as i'm aware there's been 3 variants over the 30 odd years I've been aware of these pistols so I've designated mine a mk3 picture below,

The early ones had a brown plastic stippled target grip (rh), only. Rear sights adjustable for windage only with a front sight adjustable for elevation. A single screw adjusted trigger weight, but could be set very light, also it had a machined std 11mm rail atop the cylinder.
The next variant (mk2)now has "ambi" grips same as my new one, but has std sights with elevation & windage all adjustable on the rear sight, also the trigger adjustment screw whist still present does not have a hole in the trigger guard so you have to remove the grip to access it.
As per the norm these days the Mk3 version has been made cheaper :roll: , the trigger is no longer adjustable, but happily set @ about 2lbs, and is still 2 stage. The 11mm rail has gone and the rear sight all though a std type like the mk2 is a cheaper variant, on a positive note early trials with it shows it still shoots as well as the mk1, and groups very nicely. The pistol is boxed & as new the blueing is far better than the mk1 which had Dreadfull blueing. All in I am delighted with my new pistol which is not even run in yet & after a tune & a tweak will use it in the future for the Bench rest comp.
I have a picture on file of the mk1 which I will add shortly for comparison, M. :D

Mk1, Not to good a quality picture, but will give some idea of changes made over time to the pistol, M.
Last edited by zunmik on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:00 pm

That's the same one as mine.

Still a bargain for a garden gun or an introduction to target shooting.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:43 pm

pmh wrote:That's the same one as mine.

Still a bargain for a garden gun or an introduction to target shooting.

Kind regards,

Phil
I agree its a very good value although I reported on the "dumbing down" of the pistol for profits, I find it more than good value, but a very accurate pistol for a springer which is why I sourced another one to replace the one I foolishly let go, atb, M.

eredel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by eredel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:26 pm

I must admit the 53M is a superb pistol for the price I paid for it ......the previous owner had stripped, lubed and sleeved the spring to make a nice smooth pistol that shoots way above its price and he'd only put about 100 shots through it so thought as he didn't use it he may as well sell it.....his loss, my gain! 8-)
Eric.
Browning B425 12G O/U Trap ~ Morini 162EI Short ~ Baikal MP-53M

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Been shooting mine today tried various pellets Geco came out best for grouping surprisingly mine did not like Hobby's not sure what other users have found, its one of the few pistols I have that does not have target grips, and this is very noticeable in use as its much harder to get a consistent hold & release when you do the pistol is very good, when you don't like all spring pistols it punishes you with poor results, M.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:52 pm

I tried the usual:- R10, Hobby, Geco, and found that I got the best grouping with the Geco also.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Had my first practice today with this pistol for Bench-rest comps it is much more forgiving than most springer's when rested, no doubt helped by the moderate power level of these pistols I look forward to shooting it in the comp this month, M. :)

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Done some more shooting with this pistol yesterday & today, 2 more pellet brands seemed good, x-man accupell, & Gamo target. Shooting freehand I find that to get the best grouping an extended (longer) holdover gives improved results I don't know if other 53m owners have found the same, M.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:28 pm

My cupboard is brimming with the pellets I already have, so I daren't buy anymore!

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 pm

pmh wrote:My cupboard is brimming with the pellets I already have, so I daren't buy anymore!

Kind regards,

Phil
I didn't buy them to test with Phil, the Gamo's came with a Compact I bought new & the Accupell's I've got loads left over from my ft days. Over the years ended up with loads of different brands, M. :)