CERTUS

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
SIG P210-5
CERTUS

Post by SIG P210-5 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:35 pm

At present working on a Cogswell and Harrison Certus. Made around 1930 this is one of the rarest air pistols around.Valued in the Blue Book at around $3000, especially this one which has the target barrel.When it is fixed will report on how this thing shoots, i.e. power and accuracy.

Baz
Last edited by SIG P210-5 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: CERTUS

Post by pmh » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:04 pm

An interesting and rare gun.

I look forward to reading more.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi Baz,

I have a standard barreled Certus which I acquired a couple of years ago as part of my collection of early British spring air pistols.

I can't say they are the most elegant of designs, especially as bits and pieces seem to have been added as you would on a prototype rather than incorporated in finalised production pistol.

The Certus bears a passing resemblance to the greatly superior Webley design and as you may be aware was rumoured to have ceased production under threat from Webley for patent infringement. The Webley patent did in fact cover the possibility of cocking the pistol from the muzzle end, but only as a precaution, as it was never seriously considered a practical proposition.

I do like the tap loading system although the automatic opening arrangement is a bit 'Wallis & Grommet' to say the least.

Mine is on a par with the Webley for power and accuracy, but far more awkward to cock and load. It would have cost at least as much as the Webley to buy at the time so it's not hard to see why it would only have appealed to somebody who wanted something different.

Although both variants of the pistol had the rear of the grip drilled to accept a detachable stock, no actual examples have ever surfaced. I have seen an advert for this interesting accessory which would have made a useful addition to the longer barreled pistol. I believe Cogswell & Harrison advertised the long barrel pistol with the detachable stock as the 'Certus Light Rifle' at the time although they also sold a firearms using the Certus name.

I look forward to hearing your opinion on the longer barreled 'Target' version when you get a chance to give it a try.

Standard Cogswell & Harrison Certus.

Regards

Brian
Last edited by Certus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:50 am

That kind of gun is so rarely encountered here in Canada, but is certainly something that I'd dearly like to find someday.
Look forward to reading more about this gun.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 am

Leonardj wrote:That kind of gun is so rarely encountered here in Canada, but is certainly something that I'd dearly like to find someday.
Look forward to reading more about this gun.
Hi Leonard,

The Certus is also pretty rare here in the UK. I have only ever seen four short barreled examples in the flesh and none with the longer barrel. Paradoxically, the name Certus means 'reliable' which is not all that appropriate given the somewhat delicate nature of the design. Finding pistols with all the original parts still intact is also very unusual although I don't consider that as a problem providing the parts are minor. If I ever do need to replace springs or other small broken parts on these old pistols, I'm always careful to retain the original item as part of the guns historical record.

Regards

Brian

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Paradoxically, the name Certus means 'reliable' which is not all that appropriate given the somewhat delicate nature of the design.
So Brian, what you are saying then, is that you suffer from design flaws? Join the club!

Back to the subject in hand, what a terrific thing, especially with the target barrel. I wouldn't expect too much in the power and accuracy department but certainly up there in rarity value.
The problems I have found, especially with the older springers, be it rifle or pistol, has been some previous owners attempt at increasing the power. With the older rifles especially the number that have had an "Ox" spring installed is incredible. I have yet to find one that has been an "improvement". I throw them in the scrap bin without a second thought (the springs that is), I had at one time thought of making a garden gate spring from one but even then I thought twice about it.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Hello Graham,

I know what you mean, but I would prefer the link to the translation rather than the pistol.

There are number of early British spring air pistols that are probably rare for a reason and I would place the Certus in that category.

Having said that, it is a very quirky design from a respected British maker and consequently forms part of British air pistol history.

Although quite awkward to cock and load, I would say it is on a par with the Webley Mk1 for power and accuracy, but no where near when it comes to engineering sophistication and robustness.

Regards

Brian