A few customized Crosman 150s...

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman
A few customized Crosman 150s...

Post by Leonardj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 pm

These are some Crosman 150s that I have customized over the years. All were built between around 10 years and probably close to 30 years ago, and all remain a part of my collection. All machine work was done by yours truly, unless otherwise noted.

This is probably one of the more interesting of the group - a 9 mm smoothbore. The gun shoots 9 mm hollow base, round nose slugs which are swaged by using the home-made die set in the lower right hand side of the box. The velocity is only around 300 FPS, but when those 70 grain slugs hit a tin can at 10 to 15 yards, it launches them into the next concession...LOL.

This next gun is built around the Cutters breech for the 150, which was designed to allow the use of Crosman 22xx barrels and bolts, allowing some flexibility for 150 fans to customize their guns. I chose to go with a pretty much stock length barrel, with a custom made front sight. The one piece, wrap-around grip is made of cocobolo, and is the work of L. Maulson.

*** An update *** - I received the most pleasant surprise this morning, in the form of an e-mail from the gentleman that designed and produced the Cutters breeches, and he told me that this left handed bolt version is one of only two that were ever made, and that he has the other one. In all, four right hand bolt breeches, and two left hand bolt breeches were made for the 150. Very nice to know that Marvin is still active in airguns and looking in on the forums.

This model 157 sports a unique one piece full anatomic grip that was modified by me from what was once fitted to some brand of autoloading powder-burner. The two grip panels were found at a gun show, and purchased for a pittance, and then modified to fit the Crosman 150 grip frame. With this grip, you don't wrap your hand around it, you slip your hand into it from the rear of the gun, almost like putting on a glove. Once your hand is in place and you close your fingers around the front of the grip, the gun essentially becomes an extension of your hand.

This is my "150 Short" which I built just for fun one winter. The main tube and barrel are shortened by approximately 7/8", thus allowing the use of only 8 gram CO2 powerlets. It has produced many a confused look on the faces of fellow collectors who had never heard of the "150 Short".

And last but not least, what some friends of mine have dubbed the "150 Tactical". This gun is fitted with a SITF (Steve in the Falls) over-under dovetail mount, of which only a very few were made. Installation of the mount requires that the front sight be tapped off, and then replaced once the mount is in place. The mount slides over the barrel and main tube, and is locked in place with a couple of set-screws. The top dovetail has a Crosman red dot sight mounted, and the lower dovetail has a Crosman laser mounted.

Last edited by Leonardj on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: A few customized Crosman 150s...

Post by Certus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Hello Leonard,

Wonderful examples of how often quite ordinary pistols can be transformed into items of great beauty.

Regards

Brian

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:29 pm

The 157 Sports is a free pistol grip. I thought of putting something similar on one of my 2240's but I bought quite a nice grip from somewhere else instead. I will take a pic tmorrow and put it up. I really need to get all the various bits of all of my 2240's all in one place and actually make some whole guns from them :oops:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Tank wrote:The 157 Sports is a free pistol grip. I thought of putting something similar on one of my 2240's but I bought quite a nice grip from somewhere else instead. I will take a pic tmorrow and put it up. I really need to get all the various bits of all of my 2240's all in one place and actually make some whole guns from them :oops:
I had originally thought it to have been a "free pistol" grip, but it was pointed out to me that free pistols are generally of the single shot variety, whereas "sport pistol" is generally of the semi auto variety, and since these grips (originally) had cutouts for slide locks, etc., it would have to be assumed that they were from an autoloader.
A sport pistol can however, be used for shooting the free pistol discipline, but must be loaded one shot at a time, to conform to the free pistol rules.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:39 pm

*** An update *** - I received the most pleasant surprise this morning, in the form of an e-mail from the gentleman that designed and produced the Cutters breeches, and he told me that this left handed bolt version is one of only two that were ever made, and that he has the other one. In all, four right hand bolt breeches, and two left hand bolt breeches were made for the 150. Very nice to know that Marvin is still active in airguns and looking in on the forums.