DRULOV DU10 / ZAVASTA GP45

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
jassi
Plinker
Plinker
DRULOV DU10 / ZAVASTA GP45

Post by jassi » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Can anyone explain how the pellet feed system works on these pistols? I can't figure it out just from the diagram and don't wish to do a dismantle just to find out.

As it must be relatively straightforward, I'm surprised that it hasn't been adapted to any of the modern 'clone' pistols.

Ian

RobinC

Re: DRULOV DU10 / ZAVASTA GP45

Post by RobinC » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:18 pm

It often does'nt! They are notorious for emptying the lot in one go, usualy if you make any attempt to lighten the graunchy trigger!

Robin

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Hmm I realise i'm in exalted company here, but I disagree that both these pistols are that bad, some of the DU10's did have a graunchy trigger, but not all a light tune on the du10 can give you a good trigger, Yes over doing the trigger adjustment does make them fire all the pellets rapidly so keep that in mind, and your fine. For me the GP45 had a smoother trigger, but lacked the target style grips If I was not easing back now on shooting I would be glad to own another GP45, M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:04 am

I certainly enjoy my Zavasta and haven't really experienced the multiple shot mentioned.
It did have a problem with it going fully auto and not latching, but that is now solved. It turned out not to be a trigger issue at all, but down to the displacement of a small lateral pin in the firing pin rod which prevented the cocking mechanism working properly. I replaced the pin with a longer one, that fits across the width of the gun and doesn't allow for displacement.
Since then, the function has been perfect, but I can't work out just how the pellet feed works.

Ian

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:35 am

I have to endorse the above positive comments relating to the DU 10 (Condor). It was the first multi-shot pistol I bought some 10yrs ago to compete in the then emerging rapid fire discipline. Most of my club mates invested a great deal more money in Steyr's or FWBs, but as I was more interested in slow-fire precision I stuck to the Drulov. Although the trigger pull is quite long and a little spongy, it's perfectly adequate once in the 5 shot rapid fire rhythm. I must have put many thousands of pellets through it without any full-auto discharges and only one seal replacement. The innovative in-line loading system is also not as prone to the jamming that can occur with more complex transverse magazine systems.

Regards

Brian

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:48 pm

My friend Sig P210-5 on here knows how the system works.
He is abroad for a couple of weeks.
I will ask him to post about it.
He has explained it to me in the past but I tend to drift off.
Something about claws grabbing pellets.

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:44 pm

I've got a DU10 and really enjoy shooting it. The technique for rapid fire is to roll the trigger and it's interesting just how accurate it can be when shot like this. Mine will go fully auto just before it runs out of gas, so the trick is to count shots and refill.

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:00 pm

I had one of these - Drulov - when they first appeared, around a dozen or so years ago if I remember right. A nice pistol and a pleasure to shoot..….I'm not sure where the 'horror' stories came from, although some of the instructions in the booklet were not right! Did not make full use of it for a long time but a dealer was more than happy to give me a reasonable P/X price for it as trade in for a air rifle when I came to get rid of it, and I've no doubt somebody else is enjoying it now!

Baggie Boy

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:51 am

This pistol is typical of those from the old eastern bloc, its build quality is crude but when it works its an adequate tool for the job. I'm not predjudiced against eastern bloc equipment, I owned a TOZ35 .22rf free pistol which was superb, and is still used at world level in countries permitted cartridge pistols despite it being a 50 year old design, my best ever favourite pistol from pre Blair which I also owned was the TOZ36 7.62 revolver which still holds the world centre fire match world record
I am familiar with them and have shot one, my dislike of this pistol is purely because of the safety issues, if it did not have those issues it would be OK, but it does, so people need to be aware.
We have a club one and it is generaly locked up and not used and we are now not happy with it being used, I'm aware of another club that will not permit them to be used.
It will go fully auto with no warning for a variety of reasons, and it can happen after a period of perfect operation, if pointed down range and in the hands of an experienced shot its generaly more amusing than dangerous, but it does happen. A more serious issue is that if the safety is put on and the trigger is pulled, when the safety is taken off the gun can fire without the trigger being touched. For those reasons it can be dangerous.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:06 pm

RobinC wrote:This pistol is typical of those from the old eastern bloc, its build quality is crude but when it works its an adequate tool for the job. I'm not predjudiced against eastern bloc equipment, I owned a TOZ35 .22rf free pistol which was superb, and is still used at world level in countries permitted cartridge pistols despite it being a 50 year old design, my best ever favourite pistol from pre Blair which I also owned was the TOZ36 7.62 revolver which still holds the world centre fire match world record
I am familiar with them and have shot one, my dislike of this pistol is purely because of the safety issues, if it did not have those issues it would be OK, but it does, so people need to be aware.
We have a club one and it is generaly locked up and not used and we are now not happy with it being used, I'm aware of another club that will not permit them to be used.
It will go fully auto with no warning for a variety of reasons, and it can happen after a period of perfect operation, if pointed down range and in the hands of an experienced shot its generaly more amusing than dangerous, but it does happen. A more serious issue is that if the safety is put on and the trigger is pulled, when the safety is taken off the gun can fire without the trigger being touched. For those reasons it can be dangerous.
Surely it goes without saying that any loaded gun should only be pointed in one direction, "Down Range" M.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:17 pm

The only time I have ever experienced an accidental full-auto burst ( 5 rounds) was with my Hammerli 208 .22LR S/A rimfire target pistol. As stated above, if the pistol is always pointed down range as it should be, it gives rise more to amusement than a real danger. Obviously not desirable when attempting to shoot a precision pistol card though. Despite a complete strip and service the problem never recurred in the 10 yrs or so I continued to shoot the pistol prior to the breech loading pistol ban.

Regards

Brian

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:20 pm

jassi wrote:I certainly enjoy my Zavasta and haven't really experienced the multiple shot mentioned.
It did have a problem with it going fully auto and not latching, but that is now solved. It turned out not to be a trigger issue at all, but down to the displacement of a small lateral pin in the firing pin rod which prevented the cocking mechanism working properly. I replaced the pin with a longer one, that fits across the width of the gun and doesn't allow for displacement.
Since then, the function has been perfect, but I can't work out just how the pellet feed works.

Ian
I have just heard tonight that a Zastava is on sale local to me, even though I've just had a clearout i'm tempted cos it sounds like my old pistol, M. :think: :)

SIG P210-5

Post by SIG P210-5 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:45 pm

The reason most people do not understand the loading system of the DU-10 is because it is difficult to remove the barrel from the breach block to inspect it.When you have done this you can see the 4 claws at the breach which hold the front pellet in position.Basically the claws are set wide enough to let the head of the pellet through but not enough to let the skirt through.When a blast of CO2 gas is fired it sets the pellet free from this slight grip and as the back of the pellet is exposed to the blast sends it on its merry way down the barrel.This is the reason the pistol is pellet fussy and can also send multiple rounds off if they are too loose fitting in the collet type claws.If you have a bit of skill you can reset the size of the claws and polish them up a bit.
By the way as gingernut says I was away for a while blasting my guns in South Africa.Sold my little Smith Airweight snubbie but now want to buy either the Ruger .357 LCR, or my mates Smith and Wesson Airlite.This is made from Scandium and only weighs 11 oz.Kicks like heck but nice to carry in your shorts pocket. Baz
Last edited by SIG P210-5 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi Baz,

Nice to see some pictures of the 'snubbies'. I recall the enjoyment I got from shooting my .38 Taurus Mod 85 and a nice little .22LR stainless Smith & Wesson Mod 63. That pistol had a fully adjustable rear sight and could easily hold its own with longer barreled competitors. At least I had the opportunity to enjoy owning cartridge pistols in this country for a while before the 1995 ban. I still enjoy shooting muzzle loading revolvers, but it's not really the same. Having said that, South Africa seems a bit far to travel in order to shoot these guns unless combined with a nice long holiday.

Regards

Brian

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:27 pm

You can take the boy out of South Africa.......