Oil Grease and Fett!

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Oil Grease and Fett!

Post by Tank » Sat May 18, 2013 7:20 pm

This is a selection of oils and greases I use when lubricating my guns. This is by no means the full compliment, I also have Feinwerkbau "Fett" for the FWB guns and Maccari "Tar" and other heavy sticky grease that I use on springs.
I am off now so back later for a bit of an explanation of each.

graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Oil Grease and Fett!

Post by Tank » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Well, as promised, a bit of an explanation. Very recently I bought a gun and I always take my guns apart before I start using them (I know - but it's what I do :oops: ) and I found that someone had greased it using Silicone Grease. Whilst Silicone grease is a terrific lubricant in the correct application, it is not something you want to use to lubricate the internals of a spring powered airgun!
The first lubricant you see is the ACF-50 Anti Corrosion Formula 50. As with all these 'super lubricants' the manufacturers love to spin a load of myth and folklore around their products. The facts are though that the Motorcycle boys swear by this stuff to protect their bikes on the road during the winter months. I figure if it's good enough to keep the mechanicals of a motorbike pristine despite salt and road muck, it will protect the metal of a rifle cosseted in a gun rack! I have a small plastic tub - the type you get takeaway meals in - in which I keep a good clean rag soaked in this stuff. I always wipe my guns down before putting them away and so far, so good.

Brunox. We who hasn't heard of this stuff? It is my only cleaner/lubricant/protective spray that I am quite liberal with. I use it on everything from metal sight elements to the vice on my workbench and everything in between. It is a very light oil with cleaning agents and is generally safe to use on anything or anywhere.

Abbey gun and rifle oil - as with all light oils this is a general all purpose libricant. I use this as a general lubricant and protectant and generally these light oils are cheap enough that you can be quite liberal with them. Something like ACF-50 costs around £15 a tin, general purpose light oils are around £1.50 a tin, you can see the attraction.

Gun grease is no longer just a tub of Castrol general purpose grease either, the new generation of highly refined fully synthetic stuff, with additives such as Napier VP-90, are very sophisticated. And not cheap either. Napier VP-90 is also touted as leaving a protective layer on the parts it is applied to. There is plenty of evidence to show it might also work very effectively!
We also have the Super Lubricants such as Krytox, I have started to use Krytox on all of the seals and 'O' rings as it is totally inert, has terrific lubricant properties, this stuff will not explode or burst into flames under extreme pressure. Ideal for all of the syntheytic seals. Not cheap though.

Molybdenium Disulphate - "Moly" - grease. Terrific 'Old School' grease that you can apply to any metal/metal surfaces and know there will be no galling of the surfaces. Personally, I prefer to use Moly Powder, 1 to 2 micron and mix a little with an ounce or so of Brake Cleaner and pour it down the bore of the gun before re-assembly. Naturally you don't try to re-assemble the gun before the brake cleaner evaporates!! There was a great deal of talk about the US product "Dri-Slide" which is unavailable in the UK, or at least very difficult to get, but this simple mix of Molybdenium powder and Brake Cleaner works just as well - Moly powder is readily available on 'tinternet - usually from the US but it doesn't have all of the issues during shipping that a product bound by volatile chemicals has. It is just an inert powder.

More to follow - especially with regard to thread locking compounds.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Oil Grease and Fett!

Post by Ian » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:07 pm

Excellent summary Graham - looking forward to more installments