Tooling up

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Tooling up

Post by Tank » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:04 pm

So, I have had a busy few weeks.
Every time I have gone to fix something I have needed a "Special Seal". Or a seal that is no longer made. Or a seal that costs two Euro's with a minimum order of thirty euro's AND shipping.
I finally threw in the towel and set out to create a semi dedicated seal making machine. The little Taig is perfect for this but I have had to make - what turned out to be - some very intricate and detailed modifications. Although this lathe comes with what are serviceable levers on the handwheels they are just solid brass pressed in. I have remade these in Bronze and modified some 4mm Machine Screws so the feel and sensitivity is really good now. It needed the improvements because the only way I can successfully machine Urathene is with blades. I also finished fitting the Digital scales which are proving invaluable.

So I have had to make some special tooling to hold the blades. I had a chat with Laurie Amatruda about this and we came to the conclusion that you quite simply have to make your own tooling and it is a learning curve. I figure I am right on the edge of that curve :D

graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Tooling up

Post by micken » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Looking good there Graham.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:42 am

I know you were interested in the machine when you saw it Mick. As a starting point it is an excellent machine and as you know, made in the USA though I have to say my other Chinese made lathe is really quite accurate. But as I say, it is a starting point and there are many improvements, tweaks and accessories you can make for it. Bit more close up detail on the handwheels:

The Digital readout, simple though it is has been a massive improvement and the handwheels add real sensitivity. The next thing to do is make an indexing wheel and add it to the rear of the Headstock.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:05 pm

All this information is coming just at the right time. I'm planning for a phased retirement over the next few years and hopefully addressing the issue of not having a workshop at the moment. Keep on feeding me :dance: