Early Air Rifle Shot, Slugs & Darts

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of collectable pellets and tins.
USAF25
Early Air Rifle Shot, Slugs & Darts

Post by USAF25 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:30 am

Thought I would share some examples of American made air rifle slugs, darts, and shot. These date from the 1870's to the 1920's.

Bruce

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Early Air Rifle Shot, Slugs & Darts

Post by pmh » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Dear Bruce,

Thank you for sharing this.

I have quite a few old pellet boxes/tins, but nothing this old.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

USAF25

Post by USAF25 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:39 pm

Appreciate the post Phil. I've noted that there a number of beautiful British pellet tins and boxes with excellent graphics. I would love to add a box of Lane's Tempered darts, Lane's Torpedo darts and Lane's Patent Shot cartridges to my collection. Besides maker Frank Clarke and Lane's, are there any other manufacturers of British darts. Would also be curious to know of any patents issued specifically for darts.

Best regards,
Bruce

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi Bruce,

The top two British tins pictured below date from 1907 and are among the many brands supplied during that period when air guns were first becoming popular in this country.

The lower, paper packaging is much later, but still pre-WW2 and remains my favourite for its bright and colourful appearance.

Regards

Brian

USAF25

Post by USAF25 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:33 am

Brian,
Excellent examples, I really like the Globe slug tin. I can get the Improved Bulldog and John Bull pellets over here but any tins are few and far between. Please keep me in mind if you have any duplicates you are willing to part with. Anything in the American line you might be looking for. Thank you again for the pictures.
Bruce

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi Bruce,

I'm not really a pellet tin collector, but do have a nice selection of early Webley tins and packaging as Webley air pistols and rifles form the main theme of my collection.

I will have a look through what I have though and let you know if there might be anything of interest. I also have few boxed American gas and pump-up pistols (Crosman, Benjamin, Schimel etc) for which I have been fortunate enough to acquire the correct pellets and original capsules.

Regards

Brian

USAF25

Post by USAF25 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:47 pm

Hello Brian,

The Crosman and Benjamin containers are plentiful over here. You mention the Schimel which I assume is the yellow & silver tube of 50 .22 cal. precision Ball Shot. This is the container that is shown on some Schimel ads. Some ads reference another container the Schimel .22 cal. pellet, 200 per tube for $1.00 - which is rarely seen. An example of it is shown on the Vintage Airgun Gallery and it does contain the same ball shot.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/681456/m ... +container" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best regards,
Bruce

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:05 am

Dear Bruce,

You may be interested to know that CO2 airguns could only be held on a firearms certificate, the same requirement as full bore guns!

It was only after the 1997 changes that they were off licence. As such, there will be little to no reference to CO2 on earlier English airgun ammunition containers. Not that I have seen anyway.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<