First Post - My Webley Air Pistol Collection (so far)

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Davidm61
First Post - My Webley Air Pistol Collection (so far)

Post by Davidm61 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Hello

I've just found, and joined this forum, so hello :-D

This is my collection of Webley air pistols so far, (bar one, a post war, but pre 1958 MK1 which is elsewhere at the moment). Some are in better condition than others, the Senior looking virtually mint and unused, as is the Tempest, (a pre 2005 model that I have had since new).
DJM Collection.jpg
Comments and observations welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Regards
David

pmh
Site Admin

Re: First Post - My Webley Air Pistol Collection (so far)

Post by pmh » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Nice collection.

I am a great fan of old boxes, instructions, leaflets, etc.

Whilst out in Southport I picked up a couple of Meccano magazines, from the late 40s, which happened to contain a number of Airgun adverts.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Davidm61

Post by Davidm61 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:40 am

Thanks Phil 8-) Do you have any images of the air gun adverts that you could post?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:30 pm

That's a good point. I'll snap them on the IPad and post them over the weekend.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:51 am

Hi Phil!

Hamish here from Alberta, Canada. A very nice starter collection (OK -I'm already envious :) ).
Although I've messed with Webley air pistols for more years than I care to think about any more (and at one time or another have had pass through my hands all you show in your collection, plus a few :cry: ) advancing years have limited my collecting interests and I'm currently down to just a couple of Webleys. Most of my firearms these days are "powder burners" because, from what I have heard, they are a lot easier to come by and use in Western Canada than in the UK.
Having said all that, I still have a love of the older British made Webleys and have collected many of their revolvers over the years. I sold a nice .442 Webley "British Bulldog" to a fellow (Joel Black) in the US who has published a book on solid frame Webleys and did give me credit for some photos I let him use.
But.......back to airguns.
I have a Webley Hurricane in .22 caliber - a "Made in England" version which has seen a lot of use (we have too many magpies around the farm).
About a year or so ago, I lucked onto a beautiful Webley "Senior" bought new in 1949 with both a .22 and a .177 barrel. The box was in rough shape, so I made a nice repro and used the original labels off the wrecked box which came with the pistol. It also came with a rather oily price list which I've been cleaning up and will print a copy when finished.
As best as I can see, the main difference between yours and mine is the length of the knurling on the barrel. Mine extends a little further ahead than yours appears to?
Do you have a copy of the excellent book by Gordon Bruce on Webley air pistols? A little pricey these days so if you don't have a copy and need any specific info, drop me a PM and I'll do what I can.
Keep up the good work, and Cheers! Hamish.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:14 pm

Hamish wrote:Hi Phil!

As best as I can see, the main difference between yours and mine is the length of the knurling on the barrel. Mine extends a little further ahead than yours appears to?
Hello Hamish,

As I'm sure you already aware as you have a copy of Gordon Bruce's excellent book, the knurling on the very early post-war Seniors extended further than on the later models. I believe the length was reduced primarily to prevent excessive wear to the cocking links.

Apart from air guns, I'm now limited to .22 rimfire rifles and muzzle loading revolvers following the 1995 UK ban on breech loading pistols.

I now have quite collection of vintage air pistols though and have found the slow lock time inherent in air pistols is similar to that in muzzle loading pistols which helps with practice for both disciplines.

Regards

Brian

Davidm61

Post by Davidm61 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks all for the comments, appreciated :D Just received another for my collection this afternoon, a boxed pre war slant grip MK1. Will post some images as soon as I get five minutes.