Mk 11 Target

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
RayinNZ
Mk 11 Target

Post by RayinNZ » Wed May 18, 2016 12:19 am

Five Webleys arrived in the post this week, almost too many to absorb so I thought I would show them off one by one by age
First up theTarget Mk11
Not much condition left

But a clean using a brass wool pad plus oil (never use steel wool, the cleaning pad must be softer than the metal being cleaned) made an improvement

It was advertised as having a serial of 68847 but is actually 36847 and consequently does not have the rear breech screw, it will always be one of life little mysteries why Webley didn't stick with this system of closure

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Mk 11 Target

Post by Certus » Wed May 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi Ray,

Glad you received your collection of Webley air pistols OK. It's often difficult to judge the the cosmetic condition of items from photographs alone, but provided there is only surface rust present things can usually be improved as in your case.

It's been my experience that pistols fitted with metal piston rings which still seem to be doing the job, continue to do so for far longer than those fitted with leather washers.

Personally, I prefer the earlier Mk2 Targets such as yours, but wonder why Webley used a small screw rather than the usual pin to secure the barrel catch as removal of this component is rarely ever needed. I know they quickly reverted back to the pin arrangement, but it still makes wonder why it was introduced in the first place.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the other acquisitions.ed

Regards

Brian

Davidm61

Re: Mk 11 Target

Post by Davidm61 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 am

Good buy, and a nice find :drool: