Strange Webley Senior

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Mattdale
Strange Webley Senior

Post by Mattdale » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi,
I've recently picked up quite an odd webley Senior:
It has a 1955-1963 body (with no paint in the lettering) but has an older barrel with the longer knurled section, and an even older linkage system with a 2 piece slider that you normally see on pre-war barrels with no knurling.

The block at the front top of the cylinder seems to have been braized on after the pistol has been blued as the heat has faded the blueing at the front of the cylinder and you can see the fresh copper braize. It's a pre-war shaped block so I'm guessing it was fitted to facilitate the older barrel and linkage.

Everything is mint though, the body, barrel and linkage are in perfect condition, and it shoots really nicely although the linkage arm does rub the block ever so slightly at the end of the cocking cycle.

I can't work out why someone would do this, it seems like a lot of trouble when you could have bought a contemporary barrel and just swapped it out.
I wonder if it's something Webley would have done to utilise some old parts when they got caught short during assembly? all very odd.

Do you think this would be something a collector would be interested in or are these sorts of oddities not particularly desirable.

I'm trying to keep my Webley selection down to one of each type and I have a nice Senior already so would like to sell this on. Otherwise it'll be a near mint plinker!

I'd be interested to know what you think it's story is. (pic link below)

Thanks,

Matt.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158270726 ... res/dE61t8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Strange Webley Senior

Post by Certus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Hello,

In my opinion, definitely not something that would have left the Webley factory, but as you say, an interesting if puzzling modification by some previous owner.

Regards
Brian

fronteria
Plinker
Plinker

Post by fronteria » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Brazing of a block on to the frame by a competent Gunsmith is not uncommon, because the web between the barrel slot and the slot for the cocking linkage to run in has fractured due to very heavy use or the frame being overload by a heavy spring or excessive preload on the spring.
The MK11 target pistols and Senior Pistols are prone to developing the same fracture and they also fracture between to barrel pivot and the end of the body.
I include two images of Webley pistols both of which have had the same or very similar repairs to the pistol illustrated in your photograph.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronteria ... 1687802944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't see why the block is necessary to felicitate the fitting of a different Webley barrel.

Mattdale

Post by Mattdale » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:44 pm

fronteria wrote:Brazing of a block on to the frame by a competent Gunsmith is not uncommon, because the web between the barrel slot and the slot for the cocking linkage to run in has fractured due to very heavy use or the frame being overload by a heavy spring or excessive preload on the spring.
The MK11 target pistols and Senior Pistols are prone to developing the same fracture and they also fracture between to barrel pivot and the end of the body.
I include two images of Webley pistols both of which have had the same or very similar repairs to the pistol illustrated in your photograph.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronteria ... 1687802944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't see why the block is necessary to felicitate the fitting of a different Webley barrel.
Thanks,
I’ve unscrewed the front cap and inspected the web under the block from the inside and there is no crack or fracture visible. I assume you’d be able to see it, especially on the threaded portion, but it looks perfect.
Strange.

I’m keeping it as a plinker as it shoots really nicely and I needn’t be precious about it.

Cheers