WEBLEY'S

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
rickcar
WEBLEY'S

Post by rickcar » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:37 am

Hi
I'm looking to purchase a Webley junior mark two could you give me your views on this pistol.
Would you say that the senior and the junior are on par with each other.
Regards
Richard

Appinpar68
Plinker
Plinker

Re: WEBLEY'S

Post by Appinpar68 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:55 am

Webley Senior is the nicer of the two with a good weight to it and made with good old Birmingham steel
The Junior is still a nice Pistol, although a little light

Graeme

rickcar

Post by rickcar » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks Graeme
You say the junior is a bit light which I don't mind.
But would you say they shoot alike or Is the senior better.
Richard

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:45 pm

rickcar wrote:Thanks Graeme
You say the junior is a bit light which I don't mind.
But would you say they shoot alike or Is the senior better.
Richard
Hello Richard,

Both the 'Senior' and 'Premier' are full sized pistols which will always shoot much better than a 'Junior' and both are well capable of producing excellent groups at 10yds or even a bit more. Although the Mk2 'Junior' has a rifled barrel it was as it's name suggests, designed for the younger shooter and can only be considered accurate at ranges of around 6yds.

If you were to consider a 'Junior', I would definitely recommend you go for the all steel Mk1 which is of much better quality and also has the advantage of being a classic Webley pistol and consequently much more sought after than the alloy framed Mk2.

Incidentally, spares are still readily available for the entire Webley range.

Regards

Brian

rickcar

Post by rickcar » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi Brian
Thanks for all the information very much appreciated.

slofyr

Post by slofyr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:59 am

Certus wrote:...Both the 'Senior' and 'Premier' are full sized pistols which will always shoot much better than a 'Junior'...
IMO, shop around for a Premier. It has an adjustable trigger and although its trigger mechanism is still stone age compared to more advanced air pistols, the adjustment feature is worth having.

rickcar

Post by rickcar » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:51 am

Thanks for that do they come up very often For Sale.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:02 pm

rickcar wrote:Thanks for that do they come up very often For Sale.
Hello,

Here is a bit of background information relating to the 'Premier' from an earlier thread.

"In 1964 Webley consolidated the best features of the Mk1 and the” Senior” into one pistol to be called the” Premier” rather than marketing two similarly performing pistols. The "Premier" was basically a “Senior” which retained the trigger adjustment screw from the Mk1. It was still a high quality all steel pistol available in both calibres but underwent a number of minor changes during its development with each being identified by a letter A-F usually stamped below the trigger guard on the left hand side of the frame. The all steel "Premiers" were made between 1964-1975 after which Webley had completely changed their manufacturing processes and materials replacing machined steel with mainly cast alloy and traditional blueing with a black epoxy enamel coating".

I would definitely recommend you go for the earlier 'all steel' Mk1 if you decide on a 'Premier' rather than the alloy framed Mk2.

An internet search for "Webley Premier" should provide quite a few results relating to sales.

Boxed examples are more sought after by collectors and consequently command higher prices but you should get a nice unboxed example for £100-£150. The cheapest places to buy are either privately eg via a site such as this one, or at Arms Fairs where the mark-up is less than that charged by dealers.

I paid £90 for this nice early Mk1 'Premier' at the Bisley Arms Fair about a year or so ago.

Regards

Brian

rickcar

Post by rickcar » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Lovely pistol and what a good price.
I will keep my nose to the ground thanks for picture and information

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Just for interest, the "Junior - series 2" are usually encountered with smooth bore barrels. It seems that New Zealand airgunners preferred the improved accuracy provided by a rifled barrel and most of this model were supplied to New Zealand dealers with the rifled barrel. "Trade Me", a New Zealand online auction site, often has them on offer, reasonably priced. Unfortunately, the site is only available to NZ and Australia residents, but with a willing relative or friend livimg there..................
I'm in Canada and had no difficulty receiving one through the mail (OK, it was inspected by customs in both countries and deemed not be be "dangerous goods") LOL.
In other countries, YMMV of course.
Cheers! Hamish.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:26 pm

A few years back a friend of mine shot a Webley Junior in the NARPA Championships and actually did very well with it !

They take a bit of getting used to - but they can shoot very well.

I have a Mk1 Junior and an alloy Mk 2 Junior - both have rifled barrels and both shoot OK.

In some ways the newer alloy ones shoot the best ( and the Premier Mk 2) as they have a better hand-hold and balance and this helps.

The best of all the classic style Webley pistols to shoot is the Webley Tempest - I am surprised it is not mentioned here even though I know the "serious" Webley fanatics would not give them or any of the other alloy pistols the time of day because they are not steel. :hand:

As a Webley fan and collector I also really like the steel pistols ( I acquired another .177 Senior today) and they are much more collectable - but for target shooting ( if you really must use a Webley) you really should try the Webley Tempest.

Just to really upset the traditional Webely pistol collector/purist - I bought a Turkish made.177 Webley Tempest this week and it is really rather good to shoot - but does not have that quality "feel" of the British made version :doh:
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.