Mk1 webley photos

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Eightball
Mk1 webley photos

Post by Eightball » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi was trying to upload some pics of my mk1 webley but kept telling me file size was too big any help much appreciated. Needs to be plain English as I am unless at computer stuff, I am using new ipad if that makes any difference and no idea how to use a pc. Thanks in anticipation Ian. Ps I took the pics using the iPads camera

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Mk1 webley photos

Post by pmh » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:16 pm

In order to maintain a fast load time, the size of pictures had been limited.

I usually keep me to a maximum of 600 pixels wide, as some tablets tend to crop the edges of wider pics.

Try resizing your pics and then uploading them.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Eightball

Post by Eightball » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:06 am

Thanks phil will try that

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 am

If you are still having trouble, email them over and I'll pop them on for you.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Eightball

Post by Eightball » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks phil but tank jutted pipped you with same offer so just sent them to him. Thanks anyway hope their not an anti climax!

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:17 am

Very interesting and here they are:

graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 am

Love the medallion on the grip.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting the pictures of your early Webley Mk1 pistol which looks to be in the sort of condition you would expect from a pistol coming up for its 90th birthday.

If It were mine, I would do nothing more than gently clean and lubricate the pistol unless it's non-functional. I always like my pistols to cock and fire so have replaced the odd internal part which does not detract from the original appearance of the pistol.

Spare parts are still readily available and the pistols are quite easy to strip and repair should the need arise.

Regards

Brian

Eightball

Post by Eightball » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks for posting those for me Graham I was at a bit of a loss. Just a quick one to any one out there I realise this is far from mint condition but would it be classed as average or poor? Ps it does still fire probably shot about 40-50 pellets through it with my lad in the back garden, managed to go through both sides of a beer can from about 12-15 feet. My lad thought it was pretty cool for an antique! High praise from a 13 year old who's glued to an Xbox 90 percent of the time!

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi Ian,

Photographs nearly always make the cosmetic condition of a pistol to be a bit worse than it actually looks in the flesh so to speak. I would say the pistol is in average condition for its age appearing to have been used but not abused during the almost 90 years since it was first made.

As stated in the earlier post, I would not attempt to mess with the finish in any way but keep it functional and enjoy it until you maybe pass it on to your own son.

Regards

Brian

Eightball

Post by Eightball » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks Brian what would you suggest using to clean it up a bit I obviously don't want to be too aggressive but would love to get the metalwork looking a bit fresher. Also should I just leave the grips alone?

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:10 pm

I would agree with Brian. Find yourself some 0000 steel wool and just gently wipe the gun over with some Ballistol. Don't worry if you are too cautious - you can do it again - if you are too aggresive it is hard to go back.

I would unscrew the grips and use the same 0000 wire wool with some White Spirit to gently wash away some of the grime and then polish them up with a little Briwax or similar.
graham.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks to everyone who has helped with info and my posts about this gun,much appreciated. Just wondering what would be the best way to improve its appearance? Re the metalwork