Spotting Scope

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of any accessories you may have.
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Spotting Scope

Post by Tank » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Last time I was at the club I saw a couple of spotting scopes in use, I was really impressed with the clarity and the one Phil was using was not a lot of money.
Unfortunately I did not take notes so I cant remember the make or model I assume anything that will focus down to 10 metres will work?
All advice welcome:-)
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Aldi do one, occasionally, but they are quite big.

I got mine from eBay, but a very similar model is available from Wilkinsons.

>This< is the one I have.  It's available under a few different names.

You also have to make sure you get the tilted eyepiece version, not the straight.
Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks for tht, had a good look about and if the man will take £55 I am going to buy THIS: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Visionking-12 ... 43a85c9a1a

Oh I know the postage is extra, but it isn't the end of the world:-))
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

ikarma70

Re: Spotting Scope

Post by ikarma70 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Aldi spotting scopes go down to about 7 or 8 yards and for the money are quite good.

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Just been browsing and suddenly decided (yes quite late) something I wanted for Christmas (that won't break the bank, crucial criterion)

So half an hour of research later, plus a call to the wife, I've ordered one of these

Found some generally favourable reviews on bird watching and astro forums, who tend to be quite picky about optics. Found the specs : 25-75 x 50, close focus distance 10 feet at 25x. Only 10" long. Maksutov-Cassegrain optics (had to google that one!)

Can use it in my garage at 6yds, use it at the FT club. Yes with my FT rigs I can just use the mounted scope but often plink with guns with smaller optics, and also try to push the range envelope with my pistols. :)

So we'll see how it is when it turns up.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:31 pm

I bought the El-Cheapo version spotting scope but it works fine.
I have long since determined that it is not good for me if I also take the tripod to the range. Odd I know but I get distracted between shots looking through the scope and consequently change my stance so I leave the tripod in the boot of the car. This then means that I leave the scope on the bench next to me and only check after I have shot the card but it is great as I can see my shots clearly and see, before retrieving my card, what I am doing.
If anyone is thinking of buying a spotting scope I would thoroughly recommend it, and it IS Christmas after all:-)
graham.

notlob

Post by notlob » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Another vote for the Aldi spotting scope, only costs twenty three pounds or something similar, including table tripod and carry bag

Notlob
If I don't see you in this world, I'll see you in the next. Don't be late

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:04 pm

notlob wrote:Another vote for the Aldi spotting scope, only costs twenty three pounds or something similar, including table tripod and carry bag

Notlob

I to use an Aldi spotting scope I've had it for several years, I even use it for a spot of casual astronomy when I can't be bothered to get the bigger beastie out, M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:45 pm

I have an Aldi spotting scope and the club has 6+ which we have been using without fault for the past 12 months. Great value for money :dance:
Sec/founder Rivington Riflemen. www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:12 pm

I wanted something compact like in the OP but also that would focus down below 6 yards for garage use.
Anyway it arrived today but I asked Cheryl to wrap it for me for Christmas.

It's currently sat on our bed in the Amazon box... the self control this is requiring is just unbelievable! :shock:

johnbaz
Plinker
Plinker

Post by johnbaz » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:05 pm

JHi

I bought an Aldi scope from here in Sheffield, They had loads left and had dropped them to half price to get shut!!
I paid £12.50 and like a halfwit, only bought one, my mate wanted one so I gave him mine!!..

I have a Chromoptic 20-80x70mm that I bought cheaply from a mate that is absolutely fantastic!!

Also have a Meade ETX70 (Astronomical scope) that's quite good and an Orion 8" reflector that is utterly superb 8-)

I'm also in to binoculars!!

I love anything optical 8-)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:28 pm

I originally got a similar looking scope from Maplin for around £20.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until I got it that I realised it's nearest focus is just over 10m, so it wasn't really of use for short distance.

I then got a compact, detailed in my original post to this thread, from ebay.

An excellent and versatile scope, but I have now stopped using it as I was getting too obsessive, checking each shot. In fact, I shot better without the scope these days.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<