Bench rest rules?

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Bench rest rules?

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Did a bit of shooting in the garage earlier with a makeshift bench rest set up comprising of some cushions on a folding table. Quite low which meant I had to sort of stoop forward - either the rest needs to be higher or the seat lower. I noticed that the the heal and fore end of the pistol were rested as well as my forearm at one point.

Which got me to thinking - are there any rules for this? Should it just be the heal of the grip that is rested, or the wrist and / or forearm as well?

Cant find anything on Google to help

Looking at the 'fat bag' I see that it has a V shape running along the top - I guess that the gun held in one hand would rest in this which I think would mean that the forearm and wrist were rested too.

If there is no standard for this or existing rules should we think about devising some? I guess you could have a number of variations to make it easier or harder if so desired.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:24 pm

Or what about something like this

I guess that the fore end of the pistol would rest on the top and that the shooting arm/arms would either be unrested or the elbows would be on a cushion behind?

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:41 am

Just spotted this - it appears to be an American air gun club that runs bench rest pistol:

Extract:

Pistol Competition Rules

Picture
Caldwell Rock Jr. Metal Front Rifle Rest - $35

a )  All shooting will be done in a sitting position from either a chair or a stool with the gun being supported on a single point rest (contact Gary if you have questions).

b)  Sights for competition include any type of iron sight or a 1x (one power) red dot.

c)      All guns must be .177 caliber and the ammunition must be wad cutter type.

d)      The pistol match is comprised of 20 shots being fired at a two 5 bulls-eye NRA air rifle target (AR-5 type). This means two shots per bulls-eye for the two targets.

e)      The time for the first target is 10 minutes after which the targets will be retrieved and a second target will be posted for the remaining 10 shots.  If a handicap is needed and it is less than two shots the shots will be placed in the lowest scoring bulls-eyes on the last target. The shooter will mark the handicap the targets they used for the handicap. If more than two shots are needed in the handicap a separate five shot target will be required for the handicap.  The shooter will mark the separate as their handicap target.

Here is the link:
http://www.airgunclub.org/bench-rest-rules.html

Could be adapted for our purposed here perhaps? Would be nice if we could include .22 and recoiless perhaps?  :lol:

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:44 am

Bench rest with pistol fitting

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400329116789? ... 1423.l2649

http://www.midwayuk.com/Caldwell-Handy- ... oting-Rest

Ive just ordered one of these as regardless of what happens here competition wise it looks just the job for my garage plinking sessions - this way I can keep shooting regardless of physical ailments!

I dont think that it would be difficult to knock up a DIY version of the above where as the pistol was supported just in front of the trigger and at the heal of the grip or under the hands depending on whether its one or two handed shooting

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 am

Excellent post and research there Ian.

I did like you did when I first tried it. I rested part of the gun and my forearm,  as that was how everything naturally fell with the set up I had.

It's always good to look at what others are doing,  and we are also able to tweak and amend to our own requirements.

We can run a few variations to see what people like.

I quite like the pistol rest used and this does look like a good point of rest. I should be able to knock something up with the bits I have lying around.

I am hoping to shoot some targets later on today.

Kind regards,

Phil

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks Phil

Perhaps 2 handed for recoiling and 1 handed for recoiless?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 am

Found a link to another bench rest pistol site,  with some nice pics >>here<<

Kind regards,

Phil

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:26 am

>>This<< is another alternative I found.

Looks like there are lots of options.

Kind regards,

Phil

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Comp Rest ??

Post by zunmik » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:38 am

All starting to sound a bit complicated, what parts of the pistol being rested, sitting with extra arm support, and if you use a recoiling pistol you might find it better to support  the wrist or you will shoot high. I was just going to stand with my old f/t beanbag on an old bookcase with my hand n pistol on top of it. I would not use a firm pistol rest!,M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:00 pm

It'll end up quite simple in the end.

I think ideas are just bouncing around, to get a direction.

Kind regards,

Phil