Seeing double

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
eredel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by eredel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:05 pm

I do love those 45's...had 2 or 3 over the years and really enjoyed them until I sold 'em to enjoy something different! 8)
Must admit my Mod 5G shoots as good if not better but I'll probably still have anothe 45 one day...just summat about 'em!!
Eric.
Browning B425 12G O/U Trap ~ Morini 162EI Short ~ Baikal MP-53M

Arv

Post by Arv » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Personally I like to use open sights.

Also I set the sights up so that the red fibre optic covers the centre of the 30mm target centre, I'm wondering if I should zero aiming to the outer edge with poi centre, so as to keep the target in sight?

What type of groups are we looking to expect benchrested one hand at 6 yrds, I cant really group too well, I find I get the shakes through concentrating so I have fliers to deal with.. :wink:

eredel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by eredel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:07 pm

I can't answer the question on fibre optic sights....I dislike them with a vengeance!!!!...prefer the good old ungarnished iron sights! :wink:
Eric.
Browning B425 12G O/U Trap ~ Morini 162EI Short ~ Baikal MP-53M

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:24 am

As my eyes near their mid 50's I find plain iron sights increasingly difficult to see! I love the modern fibre optic type fitted to the HW45. I dont however like optical sights such as red dots/telescopics/lazers etc - tried them all and cant get on with them. I have taken to fitting florescent dots to plain iron sights ('Daysiters from the States) and these improve things no end - they are used quite a lot on the IPAS circuit and this is where I first tried them.

As regards grouping this comes with (much) practice and learning what grip strength and hold works for you. Remember to focus on the front sight and not the target! Although it was slightly counter intuitive at first after shooting springer rifles with an artillery hold, I have found a very firm grip works best for me with the HW45. I do however try to keep everything else as relaxed as possible.

The year before last I shot a lot of longer distance targets with both my standard and Black Star at Bisley. .22 with open sights. With practice I could get consistent and good results double handed at 15 and 25 yards. Single handed anything over 10 yards was very inconsistent - though I find single handed difficult anyway due to nerve and joint damage in my right hand.

Once you have mastered the 45 it is very rewarding to shoot. It almost feels like a living thing and the recoil, smell of oil and the way it punishes lack of application to technique are all part of the shooting experience.

As soon as I have finished this cup of tea Im off up in to the loft to dust mine off - this thread has rekindled my interest!

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 pm

I'd find it quite cumbersome to have a sighting device on such a gun, due to the way it is cocked and loaded.

I find a certain sense of achievement using open sights.

I had a set on my 586 for a while, but soon took them off.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:57 pm

I have tried

Red dot on a Benjamin EB17 and Crosman 2300T - accurate but as Phil says it made them cumbersome especially the Benjamin

Holographic red dot on a Umarex clone - really hard to see properly, didnt suit me at all

Laser on a Umarex clone - one of the under barrel types - easy to see at short ranges indoors or in darker conditions outside but not very accurate with imprecise adjustment

Telescopic pistol sight on an HW45 - worse results that open sights! Almost impossible to prevent movement due to recoil!

Arv

Post by Arv » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Agreed anything bolted on top would make cocking a little fiddly.
My eyes are bad I'm 46 and I got diagnosed with diabetes and this was the very quick demise of my sight.
Buy we carry on regardless, I'm looking to get a table mounted spotter scope, to see the my poi at 6 and ten yrds.

The holographic dots aren't  round in my vision and are almost oval with jagged bits coming off , again my eyesight won't let me use anything like it anyway.

Cheers Ian, I will continue the practising, but have a long way to go yet..

It's a shame, I know two guys who bought the 45 new, got it home and before the night was over it was sold or being sold, these are pigs out of the box, and you must persevere , for me I love it, the cracking through dieseling the smell (as you have mentioned) is great, and what's so rewarding is feeling the gun calm down, as you shoot it, it's a bit like getting on a mustang and trying to tame it, it will buck like mad, and try to throw you off, but if you hang on in there, it will reward you, and then do exactly what you want, it takes time...

I'm currently hanging on like mad ;-)

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:38 pm

I've got red dots on my SSP'S,  Both HW45's are just open sights, I've got those multiple reticle-type red dot hologram sights on my CP88's...... but I think the open sights on my 586 are best left as they are.
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

Arv

Post by Arv » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Today I received them pistol cases, I got two for around £28, thanks for the heads up, now I can even lock them away.

:wink:

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Glad to hear you got sorted.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<