Shooting thru Injuries & Senior years

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Shooting thru Injuries & Senior years

Post by zunmik » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 pm

I've been battling Age/Injury problems since 1997 when i found i had brittle bones in my neck & had to give up F/T. However you can still shoot
i moved on to 10mtr rifle the heads up stance did not bother my neck then.
In later years injury problems with my back forced another change on to 10mtr pistol in 2001 where all went well until a severe shoulder injury also stopped that, but if you get problems to "Dont Give Up" prolonged physio & daily exercises can as in my case restore some ability to shoot, I am now shooting bell target using light or suitably balanced/weighted rifles it ain't easy as i've not shot rifle for many years, but i'm getting their, and hope to be competitive soon.
The reason i'm writing this boring twaddle is that i think i have found a way to shoot pistol freehand too. I applied the same principles that i have used with rifles lighter or well balanced guns, but with well weighted barrels to stop excessive wandering on target & a "light" trigger.
I have 3 Compact pistols so used one, these are to light to start with so always need weights i then added an extra 20 grm lightened the trigger
more than i used to & after a short period i'm holding the pistol ok & am scoring back in the tenring :)  so if you get injury or age related problems
experiment, M
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Absolutely - you have to keep going

Despite being a mere youngster in my mid 50's I have arthritis with associated joint problems and nerve damage down my right arm from an accident 12 years ago

I find pistols ideal as if necessary I can shoot left handed or two handed and they are in the main vary light and compact things

A couple of years ago I quite by chance entered a rifle comp that was being run at a pistol event with a borrowed FWB300 and to my astonishment came 2nd! Probably more to do with the rifle than me I expect. This got me to feeling rather nostalgic for my youth when in addition to shotguns and a cartridge rifle I often shot air rifles. Following the comp I actually bought the FWB!

The FWB had to go as it was way too heavy - beautiful gun though. Mt feelings of nostalgia remain though and I really do quite fancy a rifle for short range targets in the garage and should the opportunity arise perhaps Bell Target. I dont know much about the latter but Ive looked at some YouTube videos and I like the look of it. No clubs running it round these parts though.

I think what I need is a lightweight and easy to handle rifle. I have been looking at the SMK 78 CO2 rifle which I understand is rather crude but cheap and can be fettled to perform well. I would guess that most of the springers available especially the recoiless ones are quite heavy.

Sorry, gone off on a bit of a tangent there!

Last edited by Ian on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:40 pm

It isn't twaddle, it's an excellent piece on not giving up and finding a solution.

Too many people in the "modern" world just give up and sit back.

One of the reasons for the Benchrest Pistol competition is to enable as many people as possible to take part, without too much strain on the body.

Now that you are finding a technique to enable you to shoot free hand, perhaps you could kindly give some thought to a possible 6 yard comp to run with the Benchrest one we currently have.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Ian:1811 wrote:Absolutely - you have to keep going

Despite being a mere youngster in my mid 50's I have arthritis with associated joint problems and nerve damage down my right arm from an accident 12 years ago

I find pistols ideal as if necessary I can shoot left handed or two handed and they are in the main vary light and compact things

A couple of years ago I quite by chance entered a rifle comp that was being run at a pistol event with a borrowed FWB300 and to my astonishment came 2nd! Probably more to do with the rifle than me I expect. This got me to feeling rather nostalgic for my youth when in addition to shotguns and a cartridge rifle I often shot air rifles. Following the comp I actually bought the FWB!

The FWB had to go as it was way too heavy - beautiful gun though. Mt feelings of nostalgia remain though and I really do quite fancy a rifle for short range targets in the garage and should the opportunity arise perhaps Bell Target. I dont know much about the latter but Ive looked at some YouTube videos and I like the look of it. No clubs running it round these parts though.

I think what I need is a lightweight and easy to handle rifle. I have been looking at the SMK 78 CO2 rifle which I understand is rather crude but cheap and can be fettled to perform well. I would guess that most of the springers available especially the recoiless ones are quite heavy.

Sorry, gone off on a bit of a tangent there!

Your not going off @ a tangent your points are relevant, I was considering  co2, the qb78 can become superb i attach a link for a bell target version, but before you do, try a few other target rifles i thought i could not manage one, but found the different weight distribution of the Walther made it manageable, I still shoot the "izzie" as well, a light gun, spring, but very low recoil with a nice trigger, M.

http://www.woodfield-gcp.co.uk/SMK.htm#co2rifles

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:48 pm

pmh:1812 wrote:It isn't twaddle, it's an excellent piece on not giving up and finding a solution.

Too many people in the "modern" world just give up and sit back.

One of the reasons for the Benchrest Pistol competition is to enable as many people as possible to take part, without too much strain on the body.

Now that you are finding a technique to enable you to shoot free hand, perhaps you could kindly give some thought to a possible 6 yard comp to run with the Benchrest one we currently have.

Kind regards,

Phil
I think in time if the benchrest comp is a success a freehand comp as well may prove to be a great idea although for me personally i always prefer Verified comps. (each to their own), M.

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:09 pm

zunmik:1819 wrote:I think in time if the benchrest comp is a success a freehand comp as well may prove to be a great idea although for me personally i always prefer Verified comps. (each to their own), M.
I'm with you there M  :)

Thanks for the previous link to the Bell Target QB that looks a really good cheap alternative.  8)
>>>This space has been reserved for a witty signature<<<

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm

My experience of verified comps is that they put more people off than they attract.

That said, if there are enough members interested, then there is no reason why not.

Kind regards,

Phil
Last edited by pmh on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M0KPH

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 pm

pmh:1823 wrote:My experience of verified comps is that they put more people off than the hey attract.

That said, if there are enough members interested, then there is no reason why not.

Kind regards,

Phil
Mmmm wonder why that is?    :P

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:11 pm

I think that the main problem with the BPA verified ones was that some of requirements were a bit off putting for some - such as the need for a witness. There is probably another less onerous way that will be acceptable to most.

Worth thinking about perhaps?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 pm

The purpose of a forum is to provide it's members what they want, so everything is worth considering.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Well, there is thinking and then there is doing.  :wink:

In all seriousness though this isn't a comp site so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I ever do get involved in online comps again though I would prefer them to be verified, either by emailing targets or posting targets to a verifier.

Rincewind
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Rincewind » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:01 pm

I would support the view that verified shooting may put some people off  on a forum like this  and others. The thing is if somebody cheats and wins they know that they haven't really won. So, I have to support the idea of gentlemanly conduct and trust in these competitions.  

When it comes to the various local and  county association comps the  witnessed cards are a absolute must and yet it doesn't put people off.  We might ask why this is and the answer is because when shooting at a club there is always someone there of a like mind who  can act as a witness.

Jumping back to the original post, I'm a wrinkly and suffer from an arthritic knee, hip, shoulder, neck wrists and hands. plus a plethora of other conditions.   I am unable to take anti-inflammatories and have  make do with pain killers when the pain get bad. As Zunmik pointed out  it is important to maintain mobility.  

Besides air pistol I shoot rim-fire rifle which, after shooting 50 to 100 rounds, caused discomfort in my shoulder.  It seems to be more noticeable just after shooting. to overcome this I have bought a D30 recoil pad for my shoulder and it works well.  Finally when shooting pistol i find that the concentration required  seems to detract from the the discomfort so it's almost therapeutic for me.

Apologies for going prattling on.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Maybe in time as membership grows it may be that there is enough interest to run both verified & non verified comps, i do not doubt peoples honesty, but do like one set standard deciding the score rather than individuals each with their own ideas on what counts as in or out on the ten ring etc, M. :?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 am

There is no such thing as going on, or prattling on, in here, just sensible comments and a worthy contribution from all.

Some excellent points and comments have been made, and they are food for thought for the future.

Hopefully we'll be able to cater for all needs, as I am sure members will step in to help.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:10 am

Rincewind:1841 wrote:I would support the view that verified shooting may put some people off  on a forum like this and others.
Why?
Rincewind:1841 wrote:The thing is if somebody cheats and wins they know that they haven't really won. So, I have to support the idea of gentlemanly conduct and trust in these competitions.
If someone is willing to cheat then I am sure they do not give a damn about gentlemanly conduct or trust.
Rincewind:1841 wrote:When it comes to the various local and county association comps the witnessed cards are an absolute must and yet it doesn't put people off.  .
But not online comps?? Why is that??
Rincewind:1841 wrote:We might ask why this is and the answer is because when shooting at a club there is always someone there of a like mind who can act as a witness.
Oh yes the 'like mind'. Well if someone is attending clubs and shooting online comps there then I would suggest the 'Like mind' are probably still in the room.

Sorry guys just being devils advocate and would like to hear opinions not just easy get outs for entering online comps.

Sorry to do this to your post Rincewind my apologies.