Bell Target Crisis

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
bellringer
Marksman
Marksman
Bell Target Crisis

Post by bellringer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi guys and gals; a cry for help also posted on the Bell Target section. I am a member of the Wolverhampton Air rifle League; this is primarily a Bell Target league but with paper target comps held during its summer period. We normally shoot in teams of 8, but now have two teams that may only be able to field a team of 6. So we desperately need some new members; if you live in or around the Wolverhampton Area there are two teams based at the Springvale Club in BIlston who would welcome you with open arms. This branch of Air Rifle Shooting is very informal and family based around a social structure; it is shot totally indoors so weather is no problem. You do not need to own a relevant gun as all clubs will have members who will offer their gun for use as well as all the instruction you would need. So please if you are in this area would you consider helping to keep this very old branch of Airgun shooting alive. If you need a contact or any more info please post here or e mail [email protected] Cheers to all
bellringer

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Bell Target Crisis

Post by zunmik » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Good luck with your search for new members it could just be seasonal my club gets a bit slow in the summer, but picks up again in the winter months. M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi

Good luck with this...I know there's a rich history of bell target shooting in Wolverhampton and it would be a pity to see it hit the buffers for want of new members. I've not long moved down to South Devon from Halesowen...that may have made me a 'possible' if I still lived up there! I'm a regular visitor back to that part of the world....but not so regular that I could commit to anything like this, mores the pity. I'd be interested to know how many clubs/teams are still operating in your part of the Black Country?

Frank (BaggieBoy)

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Post by bellringer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi BaggieBoy, it would have been nice to see you at one of our clubs, but moving away from the area has scuppered that. Wolverhampton A. R. L. has just registered 5 teams again for 2013 / 2014, this has been our 'norm' for several years and just about sustains the league. I believe Birmingham and Bridgnorth have the same. Walsall league disappeared some years ago due to lack of support. There is a smattering of leagues in Shropshire as well as the Bridgnorth league but like every other league there is a dire shortage of shooters. In particular it would be a disaster if Bridgnorth were to fold as it is recognised as the oldest recorded league in the country, celebrating its centenary in 2000; and having its first recorded season in The Bridgnorth Journal in 1900; although I am told competitions were actually shot before then, just not recorded in the local paper. We all live in hope that things will improve and just keep our fingers crossed. Regards bellringer :pray:

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi Bellringer

Thanks for the info...I'd be interested in keeping an eye on what's (still) going on in your part of the world as time goes on. More generally I'm intrigued as to just how much air gun 'activity' there is these days compared with (say) the immediate WW2 period when much of the organised stuff in clubs and pubs must have been at its peak...ie the days when blokes took their air rifles on the bus to the venues and no one was bothered. Try that these days and there would be an armed response unit on its way within 2 minutes. We (now) live in strange times! I've got a copy of Frank Spittle's excellent little book about the W'ton Bell Target scene and I know from discussion with one of the senior members of my former shooting club at Worcester Norton that there used to be a very healthy scene in/around Worcester. I suspect that there are (maybe) as many - if not more - people who own/use air guns these days but much of the activity is 'informal' or of the FT/HFT type which seems very popular. All very interesting...but I'll shut up now!

All the best.

BaggieBoy

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 pm

As a compromise, would you accept new league members, or shooters shooting remotely?

We could put a team together and post the results to you, and do the same with individuals.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Post by bellringer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:42 pm

pmh; Hi. Interesting thought here. There is or was a 'postal bell tgt' competition run from Shropshire I believe; but using a paper target copying a ''bell plate'' , so the idea of communicating 'match' scores is not impossible. We have just set up our league for 2014 and it is now too late to try this for our next season, but I will talk to our committee in the next few weeks and see how they feel about running a trial in parallel with our league's new season, I will also ask at my own club and check out the interest there; we will already be shooting in competitions so we could use our existing scores. I am really intrigued by this, so will have a bit of a push with it. Will be in touch soon, hopefully with some way of giving this a try. Best regards for now. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: bellringer
Last edited by bellringer on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 pm

If you fancy a quick trial say 1/2 rounds, we would be happy to give it a go.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Post by bellringer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi I am currently talking to people to see how we could proceed. We would have to send you a "potted" set of rules, as each league is different, we may allow stuff that you don't and vice-versa; and the scoring may be different. We use a probe in our scoring on 5.1 to 5 but all would be sorted out before competing. Will be in touch soon. Cheers bellringer