The "Scout" and "Briton" Air Pistols

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
The "Scout" and "Briton" Air Pistols

Post by Certus » Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 pm

I thought I would complete the posts relating to early English non Webley spring powered air pistols with a couple of little “push-barrel” pistols which were produced before the flood of German pressed steel Gat pattern pistols appeared in the 1930s.
The first pistol was made by Lincoln Jeffries (Junior) & Co Ltd at Steelhouse Lane, Brirmingham between 1922 -1926 and called the “Scout”. It was made in .177 only and could be had in either a nickelled or blue finish. It was a rugged little pistol machined from steel and fitted with good quality hard rubber grips. Although designed for the low end of the market,this little pistol was typical of the high standards expected from such a respected company. Given the sturdy construction and the small numbers of examples seen the pistol must have only been available in very limited numbers.

The "Scout".

"Scout" Grips.

The second pistol is yet another Frank Clarke design called the “Briton” (first model) and was produced in Birmingham between 1925-1930.
Again of heavy steel construction the pistol was finished in either blue or rarely nickelled finish with black vulcanite grips. The smoothbore barrel was of .177 calibre only and the pistol was initially sold without a trigger guard although this was remedied in the later examples.

The "Briton".

"Briton" Grips

Until recently these little air pistols were ignored by collectors and often dismissed as toys. This has now changed and all early “push-barrel” pistols have become quite sought after. Most of us probably owned a mass produced Gat style air pistol in our youth which gave hours of fun with either darts or pellets. Some even came equipped with cork firing adaptors for indoor use. I have found them to be more accurate with pellets rather than darts but neither are much use beyond 10 or 12 feet.
Well that’s about it for the early non Webley spring air pistols so I will take a bit of a break before maybe posting something about the superb Webley range again using examples from my own collection.

Regards
Brian
Last edited by Certus on Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: The "Scout" and "Briton" Air Pistols

Post by pmh » Thu May 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Splendid as ever.

I think the pop outs, are probably my favourite of all air pistols.

I can still feel the heart skipping joy of receiving my first one.

They did, and will always, carry an air of magic.

I have also noticed the prices starting to rise.

I shall have to post a picture of my more modern collection of such guns.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Thu May 30, 2013 4:19 pm

pmh wrote:Splendid as ever.

I think the pop outs, are probably my favourite of all air pistols.

I can still feel the heart skipping joy of receiving my first one.

They did, and will always, carry an air of magic.

I have also noticed the prices starting to rise.

I shall have to post a picture of my more modern collection of such guns.

Kind regards,

Phil
Hi Phil,

I would love to see some pictures and a bit of information on your or any other members modern pistols.
Although I prefer old springers for pure fun, I also get great satisfaction from using my FAS 604 & Drulov multi shot pistols.

Regards

Brian

Mattdale

Post by Mattdale » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:29 am

Certus wrote:

The second pistol is yet another Frank Clarke design called the “Briton” (first model) and was produced in Birmingham between 1925-1930.
Again of heavy steel construction the pistol was finished in either blue or rarely nickelled finish with black vulcanite grips. The smoothbore barrel was of .177 calibre only and the pistol was initially sold without a trigger guard although this was remedied in the later examples.

Regards
Brian
Hi,
I recently picked up a Briton, it has quite an elaborate sprung pellet insertor:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/158270726@N07/795p4V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also a small hole in front of the trigger, I wonder if this was one of the ones with a trigger guard originally added?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/158270726@N07/4i96jY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Related to the Warrior apparently.
Interesting little pistol.