6 Yard MPL Postal Competition - Pistols and Pellets

Postal competitions using spring, SSP, or MSP air pistols, that can be shot at home or in a club.
pmh
Site Admin
6 Yard MPL Postal Competition - Pistols and Pellets

Post by pmh » Tue May 21, 2013 11:28 am

A list of some eligible pistols/pellets is as follows:-

Pistols (.177 Only)

Spring

Baikal MP-53M
BSA Scorpion
Feinwerkbau P65, P80
Original Model 5, 6, 6G, 6M, 10M
Walther LP2, LP2 Match, LP3, LP3 Match, LPM-1
Webley  Hurricane, Junior, Premier, Senior, Tempest, Typhoon

SSP

Baikal/IZH 46 and 46M
Beeman P3
Daisy 717, 747, 777
FAS 604, 606
Feinwerkbau 100, 102, 103
Gamo Compact
Pardini K58
Weihrauch HW40

MSP

Crosman 1377

Pellets

Geco
H&N Finale Match Pistol
JSB Green Tin
RWS Hobby
RWS R10
RWS Meisterkugeln
Vogul Match

Please note, this list is by no means exhaustive, and more pistols/pellets will be added as they are identified from the competition or suggested.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Re: 6 Yard MPL Postal Competition - Pistols and Pellets

Post by zooma » Fri May 24, 2013 8:06 am

Hi Phil,

Please add the Walthers to your list - they are feeling a little left out :cry:

Walther LP53 in the spring powered section.

.........and how could you forget them in the SSP class - they were the forerunners of SSP target powered air pistols:-

LP2.
LP2 Match.
LP3.
LP3 Match.
LPM-1.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Suggest adding for pistols:

SSP's
Baikal/IZH 46 and 46M
FWB 100 and 102
HW40 - Beeman P3
Daisy 717, 747, 777

PCP, Co2
Morini 162 - all versions
Steyer LP10 - all versions
Benelli Kite - all versions
Air Arms Alfa Proj
Tau 7

Pellets:

H&N Finale Match Pistol
JSB Green Tin
Vogul Match
RWS R-10 Match Plus

Richard

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:40 am

Scrench wrote:Suggest adding for pistols:

SSP's
Baikal/IZH 46 and 46M
FWB 100 and 102
HW40 - Beeman P3
Daisy 717, 747, 777

PCP, Co2
Morini 162 - all versions
Steyer LP10 - all versions
Benelli Kite - all versions
Air Arms Alfa Proj
Tau 7

Pellets:

H&N Finale Match Pistol
JSB Green Tin
Vogul Match
RWS R-10 Match Plus

Richard
Hi Richard,

The PCP and CO2 pistols are illegal for the MPL series of competitions.

MPL ( Muscle Power League) is only for pistols that require Muscle Power to provide the energy source via a spring or a single stroke pneumatic.
Last edited by zooma on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Dear Richard,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have added the ones which are allowed in the competition.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Sorry All,

I had no idea that MPL meant Muscle Power League! Sooo... anybody have an old catapult gun? That would count, not to mention I'd love to see one.

Richard

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:05 am

Scrench wrote:Sorry All,

I had no idea that MPL meant Muscle Power League! Sooo... anybody have an old catapult gun? That would count, not to mention I'd love to see one.

Richard
Hi Richard - don't worry it was a daft idea that I had a couple of years ago to promote the use of the old classic air pistols by inventing a competition for them - and it has worked - lots of these old springers and SSP pistols have been dragged out of obscurity and back into action !

Now the idea has also spread to a 6 yard postal version - why not join us and give it a go for yourself?

This would work well with the 6 yard postal competition as it is self scoring with the results emailed in at the end of every month, so living in the USA would not be a problem - and we welcome late comers at any stage of the competition :dance:

The original MPL rules for the 10 meter competition are only lightly modified for use in the 6 yard postal series.

See http://www.airgunbbs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click onto Target/Competition Shooting and then look for the thread "Muscle Power League - whats that then?" This will show you the rules for the MPL - alternatively try my site http://www.bobsairguns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where we also display the rules on our RMTC club site that is also hosted here.http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scrench

Post by Scrench » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:21 am

Well zooma,

Little did you know that I've been secretly conspiring with Phil for a while now about getting involved in this. I recently bought the goods to get me through, a Baikal 46 and a Pardini K58, but I still haven't figured out which pellet works best for which gun yet, nor have I completely decided which one will be my 10m/6y competition pistol. I intend to spend most of the day tomorrow (Saturday) at a local range to answer some of these questions. I've already downloaded the practice target Phil put on this site. The best medium I've found for duplicating it and punching perfectly clean holes is to copy them on the back of my 10m Edelmann targets. I'll probably use them if you guys will approve their use, in order to avoid the ridiculous postal fees we would incur by you shipping targets to me. Of course I'd pay the entry fee by Paypal. On one hand I don't know if I'm a good enough shot to be entering something like this, because we have no pistol club here or anywhere near me. I'm the Lone Ranger when it comes to AP in Louisiana. But of course, participating in it would necessarily make me practice all the more, causing improvement (I hope), and ya' gotta' start somewhere. I'm about a 70%-80% shooter, average about 470 in a 60 shot 10m Olympic match. I've looked at some of the 10m Postal Matches here in the US, and my butt would be handed to me on a platter because these guys shoot in the mid 500's. Glad PCP's are outlawed!

Your idea for 6 yards is fabulous and allows many people to shoot in carports, garages, living rooms or wherever that they might not be able to at 10m. It also gives the appearance that it's easier, since it is, after all, ONLY 6 yards. But it's not. The entire black is only slightly larger than the 9 ring on a 10m target. But what it definitely does, and I don't know if you consciously thought about this or not at first, is take the different velocities of different guns and levels the field. At 10m, you can easily tell the difference between a gun shooting at say 375fps vs one shooting 480fps or higher. In the extra time it takes for the lower velocity gun to strike the target, even though it's just a few dozen or so milliseconds, can amplify your natural wiggle and make the difference between hitting black or not. Anyway, 6 yards makes everyone competitive from that aspect, and it was a great idea.

Richard

Richard

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:20 am

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your excellent response - it will be great to have you join us.

Individual shooting ability has little importance in this competition (as you will see from some of the results) as long as you are happy and enjoying the excuse to take part in a competition that has been primarily aimed at getting Classic air pistols back into action again - and at a much lower cost than competing in a "serious" 10 metre event.

Some of the competitors in this 6 yard series will be using pistols that can hardly be described as "cutting edge" - and many of them are over 50 years old !

These stalwarts can hardly be expected to challenge those with (comparatively) high tech SSP pistols - but they simply don't care - and in any case as the results get split down into groups of shooters who are achieving similar scores as each other any competition will be confined within each group.

The chances are the only thing thing that really matters to most of the "competitors" is the pleasure the individual will have when trying to squeeze the best result possible from the pistol type being used - and in many cases just the excuse to drag an old pistol back into action after it had been "retired" many years ago, and often by somebody else!

I am away in my camper van this weekend but when I get back I will enjoy reading the results of your pellet testing and hope to see your name on the scoreboard very soon!

Thanks for supporting the competition.

ATB - Bob.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01 am

zooma wrote:Some of the competitors in this 6 yard series will be using pistols that can hardly be described as "cutting edge" - and many of them are over 50 years old
.... and some of the guns are quite old too :laughing-rolling:

I have done a reasonable amount of "research" on pellets over recent years and have concluded that, for a relatively quality gun, my choice of pellets would be, in order of performance:-

RWS R10
RWS Hobby
Geco

Bob has also managed to source some RWS Meisterkugeln, which I have found to give a near identical performance to the R10, but at a cheaper price.

That said, I do try to match the pellet to the gun by shooting groups with each pellet and have found that, for example, my Baikal MP-53M performs better with Gecos.

For your IZ46M, and your K58, I would suggest you won't go far wrong with RWS R10 or Meisterkugeln.

I personally haven't noticed any difference in performance between the 4.50mm and the 4.49mm versions.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Firstly, my thanks to Phil for taking the time to collate the scores.
I was pleasantly surprised with my achievement and I am also very pleased for the other competitors, as has been mentioned, some good scores there. I am sticking with my FWB 65 for the duration I think as I am comfortable with it and fits exactly the spirit of this competition.

Well done everyone and this has me thinking a vintage rifle postal comp might actually work, something for me to think about anyway. Lots of ideas floating about right now and some of them have real merit - I will have a think about it and talk it through with a few people.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/