Hello from Alberta, Canada

Take the opportunity to introduce yourself.
Hamish
Hello from Alberta, Canada

Post by Hamish » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:17 pm

A quick "Hello" and intro.
My thing is Webley air pistols, on which I have spent waaaay too much money, but also have a Harrington GAT for nostalgia sake.
Most of my shooting is pest control using a Daisy 853C which doubles as a practice rifle for my army cadet grandson (the 853C is the official rifle for basic marksmanship training).
I left the UK as a youngster back in the 1950s but still remember the fun I had with airguns.
Cheers. Hamish.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Alberta, Canada

Post by pmh » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Hello Hamish,

And welcome to the forum.

I think Gat guns are great, and will always have a soft spot for them.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi Hamish...welcome from one recent 'new' member to another. Yes, very fond of Webleys and I've got a few although I don't shoot that well with the pistols, but I've a nice Mk111 air rifle which is accurate and powerful. Air gun shooting in the 50s...I just missed out on that, but it must have been the 'golden age', when the pastime was not frowned on in the way that it often is these days and when increasing wealth meant that it was not just the rich kids who could afford to take part. Also, lots more space for 'plinking' back then whereas many households these days have little land that they can use safely. Now living in Devon, but have spent 47 years in the West Midlands with it's fine gun manufacturing tradition eg Webley and BSA in Birmingham. In the 60s and 70s Webley had a factory in Handsworth, right across from the West Bromwich Albion football ground where I have 'worshipped' for fifty or so years now! Look forward to hearing more from you, and about your Webleys, in the weeks/months to come. What's the air gun shooting scene like in your part of Canada?

BaggieBoy

Big Steve

Post by Big Steve » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Welcome to the forum
Baikal MP654K Gen1 Oupeaat, Gen2 Grom, Gen3 Thor, Gen4 Demimak & Gen5 Tatiana
Makarov Pistol Association http://makarovpistol.myfineforum.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Hello Hamish,

Welcome to the forum where hopefully you can tell us a bit about air gun ownership in Canada. Quite a few Webley enthusiasts regularly post their experiences and preferences here so feel free to join in.

Regards

Brian

beeker
Marksman
Marksman

Post by beeker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:01 am

Welcome to the forum Hamish :D

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 pm

BaggieBoy wrote:Hi Hamish...welcome from one recent 'new' member to another. Yes, very fond of Webleys and I've got a few although I don't shoot that well with the pistols, but I've a nice Mk111 air rifle which is accurate and powerful. Air gun shooting in the 50s...I just missed out on that, but it must have been the 'golden age', when the pastime was not frowned on in the way that it often is these days and when increasing wealth meant that it was not just the rich kids who could afford to take part. Also, lots more space for 'plinking' back then whereas many households these days have little land that they can use safely. Now living in Devon, but have spent 47 years in the West Midlands with it's fine gun manufacturing tradition eg Webley and BSA in Birmingham. In the 60s and 70s Webley had a factory in Handsworth, right across from the West Bromwich Albion football ground where I have 'worshipped' for fifty or so years now! Look forward to hearing more from you, and about your Webleys, in the weeks/months to come. What's the air gun shooting scene like in your part of Canada?

BaggieBoy
A rather belated reply, but to answer a couple questions, In a nutshell, if an airgun falls outside these parameters,

"Air guns and other barreled weapons designed to have:
A muzzle velocity of 152.4 meters per second or less and/or
A muzzle energy of 5.7 joules or less",

they are considered "firearms", for which a "Possession & Acquisition" (PAL) license is required.

The airgun laws can all be found at: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a quite active airgun fraternity in Central Alberta. A recent meet brought out about 20 guys, but most all of them shoot PCPs which rules me out, as no way can I afford all the gear which goes with them, nor those early examples of PCPs, e.g. air canes. I find little interest in the classic airguns around home, but I live in a small town. Calgary, about 1 - 1/2 hour drive from me, with a population of over a million, probably does a little better. OTOH, as I have a PAL, I do most of my shooting with PBs.

Cheers! Hamish.

gab
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gab » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:54 am

Hello Hamish,

What does "PB" stand for? In my house it is short for peanut butter.

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi Hamish welcome to the forum :)

kj68
Happy Shooting

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:45 am

gab wrote:Hello Hamish,

What does "PB" stand for? In my house it is short for peanut butter.
Sorry for the late reply, but "PB" in this case stands for "powder burner" (AKA real firearms) although I'd be lost without my tub of peanut butter :D

Cheers! Hamish.