A decent rifle ?

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your rifles.
Eightball
A decent rifle ?

Post by Eightball » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:08 am

First of all a thanks to everyone who helped with my enquiries about my mk1 webley. After being in the garden using it with my son I realise 1- I'm useless with a pistol and 2- my son needs something more modern to shoot so here's the thing and I know this is commonly asked but here we go 177 or 22? Personally I've always had a hankering for 177 as the 2 previously owned rifles I had we're 22 and also as my son will be new to the sport I thought something with a flatter trajectory would be easier to learn? Other things I need to take into consideration are 1- the price ,think I could afford £200-£300 and 2- I would like to try and "future proof" what I buy, so a year down the road he won't and I won't be needing something a lot better. I have done a small amount of research on line and I certainly like the look of weihrauch rifles especially the hw80. The reason for this model is that I would like something we could possibly use for vermin as wellas target shooting as I live in a rural area and know a few farmers. Is my budget realistic for this I know all I can afford is 2nd hand but I would rather a well and trusted gun than something new. Any recommendations and advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: A decent rifle ?

Post by Certus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 am

Hi Ian,

Accurate pistol shooting is not all that easy which is why many favour the rifles as they can prove a bit easier to master. That doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the odd 'plinking' session with your Mk1.

I don't own any modern air rifles, but I'm sure there are quite a few different spring powered models out there that would be within your price range. The thing you will need to be careful of is finding one that will be suitable in size and handling for both you and your son. The accepted advice in calibre selection is .177 for target shooting for its flatter trajectory and .22 for hunting small game. If you decide to do some hunting, you will obviously need to ensure that you can shoot the rifle sufficiently accurately at the intended ranges before attempting to use it for that purpose. Apart from obtaining permissions you would also need to consider the insurance issues associated hunting on farms etc.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Without a doubt, one of the best break barrel rifles is the Weihrauch HW80, the next is probably the Webley Omega.

Until recently, all my rifles were .177, but I bought my Air Arms S400 in .22, and now do prefer this cape for an "everyday" rifle.

My target rifle remain .177

If you are interested in PCP, then the most popular, and probably one of the best for the money, is the Air Arms S400.

For springers, then the Weihrauch HW77K is one of the best spring rifles ever made. Not only well made, but an iconic classic to boot. Close on its heels is the Air Arms TX200.

Another cheaper "classic", still available, is the BSA Meteor. Everyone should own one of these at some time.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:24 pm

pmh wrote:Without a doubt, one of the best break barrel rifles is the Weihrauch HW80, the next is probably the Webley Omega.

Until recently, all my rifles were .177, but I bought my Air Arms S400 in .22, and now do prefer this cape for an "everyday" rifle.

My target rifle remain .177

If you are interested in PCP, then the most popular, and probably one of the best for the money, is the Air Arms S400.

For springers, then the Weihrauch HW77K is one of the best spring rifles ever made. Not only well made, but an iconic classic to boot. Close on its heels is the Air Arms TX200.

Another cheaper "classic", still available, is the BSA Meteor. Everyone should own one of these at some time.

Kind regards,

Phil
All those mentioned are very good rifles the 77 & the tx200 being the best of the springers, the tx200 is superb when I changed to it from the 77 for ft shooting my trophy count went up in leaps & bounds then of course most people went PCP, one word of caution both the 77 & TX are quite heavy to tote round for hunting?, M. :think:
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:51 pm

zunmik wrote: one word of caution both the 77 & TX are quite heavy to tote round for hunting?, M. :think:
Quite true.

I do have sling swivels on my HW77K, but not sure how long I could carry it around for.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with Phil that the Air Arms S400 is an excellent PCP - you are looking at a minimum of £500 by the time you have bought the gun and all the gear required.
You have probably arrived at the HW80 for all of the reasons everyone else does. It was probably the best break barrel springer ever made, and you can buy every last mortal modification for it.
.177 or .22 - well it is going to have to be .177 because, as has already been pointed out - this is the only calibre for target shooting. So, which gun?
Well again, they have both been mentioned - it is a toss up between an Air Arms TX200 or a Weihrauch 77 or 97. The only real difference between the 77 and the 97 is the stock. Yes, there are a few cosmetics but fundamentally it is the stock.
.177 or .22 for small game? It is down to personal preference really as 11.5 foot pounds is 11.5 foot pounds and that's the end of it. If you hit something with a .177 pellet with 11ft lbs. or a .22 pellet with 11ft lbs of energy you will achieve exactly the same result. Provided you place the pellet in the right place. I use both calibers with equally successful results. A .177 pellet kills a magpie just as dead as a .22 cal - ask the two in my bin.
If you bide your time the right gun will make an appearance on one of the forums sooner or later - put a "Wanted" up and see what happens, I have had good response using this method. You don't need all the bells and whistles either - keep it simple to start and build on that. If you have a good quality gun it is easy to build on that. Yo don't need an InFraLazer 10 Gazillion magnification 'scope either. Hawke make a nice sensible range for about fifty quid (I have owned them all and everything in between - save your money) and again, I refer you to the Magpies as to their effectiveness.
My personal preference is the Weihrauch 77 - Because it comes with open sights. They work well too!
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi

Ditto comments re Weihrauch about which I've never heard a bad word.

HW 77 maybe....or HW 57 which is lighter. I'm looking for either at the moment - used - and can be got in your budget, probably with a scope. Both of these are underlevers which is recommended for 'springers' ie fixed barrel reckoned to be more accurate. The 57 is supposed to be easier to cock.

Would have to be .177 as I'm a paper puncher rather than a bunny basher....although .177 would probably do the job with the latter!

One of those air gun 'guides' that get published every year or so can be invaluable. OK...they cost more than the average mag, but I've got one that I bought approx four/five years ago and I'm always going back to it to check spec, models etc.

Good luck with the search.

BaggieBoy

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 am

Personally, unless you were thinking F.A.C. I would choose a HW95 over the HW80. :D The '95 can do everything the '80 can but a lot lighter which makes a difference when your carrying the thing for any length of time. :cry:
If you prefer British I would recommend the BSA Superstar if you can find one. The trigger, while not a Rekord unit, isn't that bad, and I love the safe loading facility. :think:

HTH
Ian
Sec/founder Rivington Riflemen. www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:50 am

I would agree with Ian's comments regarding the Weihrauch 95 over the Eighty, in the same vein as a 57 over a 97. If you have ever spent all day schlepping a heavy gun about in crap weather - and I have, more times than I care to remember - a lightweight, plasic stocked Carbine of any caliber becomers an attractive proposition here.
But then a heavier gun would be more attractive for target shooting (to a degree) so you see, you can't win. It is all down to personal preference.
I would suggest that most of the springers mentioned here would, second hand, fit well into your budget. The upside is that if you couldn't get on with the gun you always have the option of selling it and trying something else and if you bide your time and buy wisely it won't cost you mutch, if anything.

On a personal note, as a youngster I could not afford a telescopic sight for my gun and pellets really ate into my pocket money. Now that I am a little older ( :lol: ) anything appearing in the crosshairs is very dead. So there is a great deal to be said, in my opinion, of learning to shoot with open sights - and you will never shoot a Bell Target with a telescopic sight.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

beeker
Marksman
Marksman

Post by beeker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:37 pm

I recently purchased a TX200 and it is one of, if not the, best engineered springers i've used an incredibly accurate rifle.This accuracy is due in no small part to its weight , when shooting unsupported standers it is a very stable piece of kit but would be a tiring rifle to carry around when hunting over long distances.You don't mention how old your son is or both your builds . For a starter pcp for a youngster the air arms 200 is light and very accurate .
I use a daystate mk4 in my H.F.T. shooting but wanted a springer for our winter league. Hope this helps , the choices are many in the second hand market ,don't forget to factor in servicing costs.
Bill

Eightball

Post by Eightball » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks everybody for the advice. I'm sure this will help inform me in my choice of what to buy. I also read zunmiiks post in this forum about his baikal and showed my son some pictures of the gun and he liked it a lot due to its tactical look, would this be a good option for a bit of garden shooting? Had a look online and it seems a very inexpensive way to get him started. Also think it was Bill who mentioned I should take into account our build when choosing what to buy- I'm pretty average 5-11" &13 stone but my son is a very small 13 year old. Thanks Ian

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Eightball wrote:Thanks everybody for the advice. I'm sure this will help inform me in my choice of what to buy. I also read zunmiiks post in this forum about his baikal and showed my son some pictures of the gun and he liked it a lot due to its tactical look, would this be a good option for a bit of garden shooting? Had a look online and it seems a very inexpensive way to get him started. Also think it was Bill who mentioned I should take into account our build when choosing what to buy- I'm pretty average 5-11" &13 stone but my son is a very small 13 year old. Thanks Ian
This review by Todd Cooper might help in deciding, obviously I think their great, M.

http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/BaikalIZHReview/
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

beeker
Marksman
Marksman

Post by beeker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:20 pm

One final point I'd like to make . Go along to your nearest air rifle club and you will probably find members who will let you try out their rifles for fit and it will allow you to view differing scopes . Normally air rifle club members are pretty affable and will be more than ready to offer you sound advice . My point is try before you buy . Buy in haste repent at leisure.
Good Luck
Bill