Benchrest Air Pistol - Some Thoughts and a Trial

A place to discuss new ideas, thoughts, and chat about existing competitions.
Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Good news!

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Comp

Post by zunmik » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:29 pm

It does look good, and i will join in as soon as i'm able may i be so bold to suggest a discussion forum within the target section where people can easily exchange thoughts, ideas, comments, and no doubt some banter  :wink: on the contest rather than trawling through the general or other sections to find any discussion. Good luck to everyone providing their scoring less than me when i join in, M.  :lol:
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Yes, good point, and I shall move this thread to keep it consistent.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Its all coming together

If only I could decide which pistol to use for the first month!

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:55 pm

I was going to take advantage of the sun, and shoot this afternoon, but we had to go shopping, somebody kindly scuffed my good lady's bumper on Friday so I resprayed that side,  then I stripped and rebuilt the MP-53, and it was suddenly dark.

Hopefully tomorrow will be just as nice.

I shall be using my Original 6G with RWS R10s; though I'll have to check my aim point, as it's set up for the UBC 6 yard competition.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

What pistols

Post by zunmik » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:07 pm

:shock: I am shocked i thought All you fine fellows would be using Gats & Cat Slugs rather than target pistols, M. :roll:  :wink:

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:11 pm

I had a practice with the LP53 this afternoon - the sights were way off with it bench rested so much so that I couldnt get the rear sight low enough. Shooting free hand (two hands) I can achieve reasonable accuracy but the bench rest has a big effect on this particular recoiling springer

A quick plink with the Crosman 600 at my Gamo knock down targets off the rest showed a marked increase in accuracy - though this being a multi shot is prohibited!

I was going to see what the Senior was like rested (as I always enjoy shooting it and its surprisingly accurate for a .22 recoiling springer - however, by 4pm the temperature in the garage had dropped too low to contunue even sitting right next to two heaters!

I am hoping that the S&W 78G that I am after will materialise soon as I think it would be well suited to this

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:16 pm

It will be interesting to see how the POA changes on my pistols, when rested.

I have 5 "pop out" pistols to choose from, and think it would good to get a Gat Gun comp going. Until recently, Blackpool Air Rifles had the Gat gift sets in for £20.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Rest

Post by zunmik » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Not sure if its legal, but if shooting a recoiling pistol i would prefer to rest my hand rather than the pistol itself, and even then it would be a soft rest like a beanbag, but as always "each to their own", M. :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:29 pm

We have added an amendment to the rules that covers hand resting.

This was originally intended for small pistols, but the concept will work for all.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:38 pm

I think that the drastically different POI with the LP53 is mainly to do with the way it recoils in the vertical plane as opposed to the horizontal one. When shooting unsupported this can be compensated for (I find a very firm grip best) but it doesnt seem to get on well rested. Perhaps a fairly loose grip on a more conventional springer will be more successful - I will have a try tomorrow depending on how cold it is!

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Ian:585 wrote: I am hoping that the S&W 78G that I am after will materialise soon as I think it would be well suited to this
Since posting this I have competed a deal for a mint example - looking forward to trying this on the rest - will post some pictures

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Looking forwards to pictures and a review.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Used the club pistol benchrest today..... bloody nightmare with an unrefined recoiling pistol, the hard rubber rest was buffering the recoil too much... have to place some softer spongey material between rest-head and pistol and give it a lot of practice and technique before I can submit any scores.:P   As above.. I'm so used to "freestanding", that benchrest seemed awkward at first.   Coincidently, I took my Harrington Gat to the club today, asking if anyone could guess what classic, world-recognised pistol I had in my case. As it happened, internal seals must have perished, as pellets were only going a max of 5ft (I'm sure I used to get 6ft from it when it was new) :P
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:36 pm

I adjusted my technique as I shot the competition.

In the end I settled for rested just before the trigger guard, with the elbow of my shooting arm on my platform.

I folded a duster and put this on the rest as a bit of extra cushioning.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH